Sinister: In defense of Pastelism

DavidJ2502 at xxx.com DavidJ2502 at xxx.com
Fri Jan 1 21:09:55 GMT 1999

Hello. This is my first posting, so please be nice.

I've just read the new Melody Maker readers poll results. Not one mention of
B&S anywhere! I was shocked and apalled and shocked again. This is usually the
bit where everyone goes "awards dont matter anyway" and for the first time in
a while I'm in agreement. Voting Cerys Matthews sexiest woman is such an
injustice it hurts. I suggest before next year's poll we should round up
anyone wearing a Manics t-shirt and lock them in a cellar (present company
excepted) then set things straight. Maybe.

Anyway, to change the subject a bit, it seems that everyone has sprung to the
defense of Tindersticks (remember that? cast your minds back...) but no-one
has said anything nice about The Pastels, so here I go... ahem.

Evan Katz wrote:
>I agree with whoever said they all sounded the same and weren't anything
special.

How can anyone say that The Pastels' songs all sound the same? I will admit
that there isn't a great deal of difference in their songs, but if it aint
broke...
The Pastels have made some of the most downright fantastic music of the last
10 years. They have been one of the most influential bands of the 80s and 90s
(where would B&S be without them?) and have set the tone for much of the
"indie" music that we know and love.
I suggest that anyone wanting a good introduction to The Pastels should buy
"Mobile Safari" and "Truckload of Trouble" (the singles & other stuff
compilation) at the same time. Start with "Yoga".

As for the remix album, whatever next? Perhaps we will have multi-format CD
singles, albums produced by William Orbit, the long awaited collaboration with
Robbie Williams, maybe even a single in the charts. You may scoff at their bid
to "make it big" but Aggi will have the last laugh when she is sitting beside
a pool in LA with Phil Collins as Todd Terry remixes the B-Side of the new
single "Oh Baby (yo' Sweaty Body '99)." Mark my words.

David J.