Sinister: New Year's Day Was Better Than Christmas

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Sat Jan 2 18:24:07 GMT 1999

Hi List,
	First I must respond to one thing...

JennyK00 at aol.com wrote:
> many years. i thought for the longest time that those boys were
> brits...come to find out that they are from west virginia or
> something.

	Welcome to the list, Jenny, but I must point out that the Ocean Blue
are most certainly not from West Virginia. They are indeed from
Pennsylvania, as my friend who turned me onto B&S told me. There is *no
one* of any repute and quality from West Virginia. No wait, I think the
Soul Survivors were from Charleston. There, one band from the 60's. Well
I do feel a bit better. A friend of mine had a pretty good band when I
was in high school that I still occasionally listen to, but of course no
one's ever heard of them. Now I wish we could at least claim the Ocean
Blue...
	Well, I had a very swell New Year's. I went over to Latelle's, the
fellow in the ink polaroid I did a while back. We spent the evening
dubbing old records, including the Felt single with the song that Stuart
David read the Ink Polaroids overtop of ("A Preacher in New England," if
you missed the Duke's post) as well as their lovely "Sunlight Strings."
Last visit I had asked Latelle about the Field Mice, and he said he'd
never heard of them, though for a bit he thought I meant the "Deep
Freeze Mice" or something like that. Anyway, he realized he had heard of
them, and we discovered he had 3 of their singles, and both their
mini-albums.
	In fact, he had two copies of Snowball, and he was nice enough to sell
me one of them for $8, because I liked them so much. Needless to say I
was pleased, and still am. I taped a few other things (Mighty Mighty,
MBV circa 1987, the Wake) and then returned home a happy boy.
	Now I was supposed to be returning to uni today, but snowy conditions
there now mean that I will be leaving tomorrow, the day before classes
start. I will be taking a black & white photography class which I am
excited about. I'm sure the words "How will I get her to strike a pose?"
will become a mantra to me, as I depress the shutter button on my
camera. Did you know there's a Japanese band named Photo Jenny? Yup,
it's true, and a friend was just saying how they were very good. I
wonder if he's right... It's a good name, though. I recall seeing their
name in the coolest of glossy mags, Beikoku Ongaku. If only I had gotten
a chance to study Japanese for more than a year, I could read it...(le
sigh).
	Well, I digress. This extra day of being at home will give me a chance
to organize my tape collection. Speaking of tapes, those of you who
wrote me about trading copies of things, if I haven't already written
you apologizing profusely and saying I can't do a trade, I will be
writing you soon and more than likely trading with you. If you haven't
written me yet, please don't, I don't think I can manage to make another
tape even if someone offered me the 24-song cassette-only release of the
Field Mice's demos...well maybe then. But in all other cases, I won't be
able to trade anyone else. Sorry about that...
	Right, well I've got all sorts of packing to work on, not to mention a
shower, so I'm going to have to give you all a little wavey and end this
e-mail right here.

I'M DEPARTING NOW FAREWELL!!!!!!

 /"\_/"\_/"\  Mick McMick/Sandcastle Records <<->> bp224995 at ohiou.edu
 \         /  Sandcastle Records Homepage:                ICQ#5056758