Sinister: Hope then Strife

Hugh Friel hgfriel at xxx.uk
Sun Jan 3 21:45:45 GMT 1999

Scarey New Year to all (and sundry)!
I went to the Edinburgh Mass Hysteria Experience.
Well, we sloped in at ca. 11:30 after some nice chap outside gave us some
tickets he had.
We went right into the Princes
Street moshpit (cue Gary) but about two minutes before the orgas...em,
climax we stepped over that line where you're no longer in control of your
own movements, you're
just part of a much bigger animal altogether.
Jenny's face just buckled from a happy smile into some countenance of
terror.
Man, it was horrible.  Anyway I just kind of grabbed her and the two of us
got out, so there's a
happy ending.  *what was that phrase, grace under pressure?*
So I've got my telly tuned to Channel 4 (in the uK) and there's been some
pretty
portentous scheduling going on.  The first truly popular emergence of the
doomsday scenarists.  And it's just not what I need to hear the night before
I go back to work.  I mean, should I just cash in my pension and embark upon
narcotic-psychotic existential bender, remembering to set my alarm for
December,
when I can start to repent?  I dunno.
My reaction to all this brink-teetering is to make my first Y2K tape
(therapy, the call it).  This is where you lot fit
in.  I need help.  The Robbie Williams song is NOT invited.  So, Pulp is in.
Prince is in - oh, controversial!
During this period Skwig had a great sound, so at home in the 80's, even
though some songs sound the same (a bit like you-know-who).   But what else?
Am I right in thinking that Electrolite by REM is one?  I'm stuck.  Help!
So BBCR1 are broadcasting Les Sessions Noire (sorry to the French listee(s)
but I learn foreign languages
from cosmetics labels) tomorrow night.  That means I'll have a crystal clear
FMS copy to replace the
copy I got from that nice chap Stephan Hammer in return for a donation to
PLAN in Honduras.  So, if anyone outside the uK really needs to hear
it....but don't snow me under, I'm sure my countrypeople will help satisfy
demand.
Talking of the Black Sessions - I take it that the instrumental in mayfly is
what I think it is??
I'll get my coat...
Hugh