Sinister: I spit on your grave

Warrander John - FML WarranderJ at xxx.uk
Tue Jan 5 12:15:08 GMT 1999

Hi All,

Does it surprise anybody that Peter Miller reads books by
respected, knowledgeable pop critics like Greil Marcus?

>I am re-reading "In the Fascist Bathroom" by Greil
>Marcus and it's got bigger words than "Young and Foolish".

Is that the one that claims punk was a modern pop incarnation
of Dadaism or some other wanky shite like that? Greil Marcus
"performed" (or whatever authors do) one of them in-store reading
things once and claimed this. Instead of the assembled crowd
mobbing him and beating him to a pulp, some other wankers
starting saying things like "on the contrary, I would much rather
the punk bands were viewed as the impressionists of their time".
Of course they used much more clever and obscure movements
than Impressionism but I'm a philistine and can't think of any. I
wanted to say "punk was about spitting on wankers like you" then
spit on them all. Deep down though, I'm just a big coward. So I
didn't. I did get some free wine though.

>One of the biggest words , which had me scurrying for the
>dictionary, is "solipsism"

I scurried to my missus for this one, confident she wouldn't know.
And she bloody well did. A bloody walking dictionary that woman.
Who also corrects grammar over your shoulder. A very annoying
habit. Now that I know what "solipsism" means, it does beg the
question, in what context was it used? Nothing to do with Sean
Dickinson by any chance?

Anyway, back to Greil. He refused to sign a book written by
Lester Bangs for some reason. Maybe it's because Lester was a bit
of a poof and couldn't make it all the way through Half Japanese's
debut triple album "Half Gentlemen/Not Beasts" without a break.
This from a man who "debunked technique" and probably
listened to lots and lots of horrible noises. I strongly suspect he'd
have made it through the Lee Perry box set without a break.

>Do you know where Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee had a fight? I do.

I don't, but I think Bruce Lee may have been Phil Spector's
bodyguard. Is this true? I'd like to think it is. I'll bet Greil Marcus
would
know. I don't.

Cheerio chums,
Love...John