Sinister: You can always get it on the buses

999 stray4f at xxx.net
Tue Jan 5 19:49:46 GMT 1999

 Is the person who made the
>Praise You video really on this list or is that another wind-up? It's dead
>good anyway, if you are, especially the bit where Spike Jonze says he's
>going to do his b-boy moves and does the dying fly. Is there break dancing
>in the B&S video?
>
>Love
>Anne
>xxx

I shot footage for that video, along with Lance Accord and Roman Coppola.
Roman did the editing and steered the whole piece as it's director, and
Spike came up with the original prank and choreographed the dancers (yes,
unbelievably enough, that was choreagraphed.)  Originally Spike made a video
for "rockafeller skank" on his own with Accord shooting on camcorder,
dancing in front of Mann's Chinese theatre on a weekend night last
spring/early summer.  As they didn't bother to get release forms from any of
the bystanders, the label decided to restage the video using "praise you"
but have a dozen friends and production assistants swoop in to get releases
from everyone when the dance was over.  Spike trained a bunch of
off-off-off-off Hollywood dancers, and we jumped out of cars and set it up
in front of a Westwood movie theatre showing "pleasantville" opening night
last october.  Usher/manager types kept coming out to turn off Spike's
radio, but he kept restarting it.  There is an edited version of the video
for the U.S. that isn't quite as long or funny as the European version
airing now.  Norman Cook appears sort of milling about in the crowd and
dropping off a tip for Spike.
    There is no break dancing in the current form of the "dirty dream"
video.  There is perhaps a momment of Peanuts-character side to side dancing
by a girl in blue plastic pants.