Sinister: my thoughts,i confess,verge on dirty

Richard Connell richard.connell at xxx.com
Thu Jan 7 09:48:59 GMT 1999

>do dexy's midnight runners have any other songs besdies Come On Eileen?
>are they as good as Come On Eileen?

You mean you havent heard the wonderous 'Geno'? Go out and listen to it at once, even if it means going to where Kevin Rowland lives and getting him to give you a solo rendition with acoustic guitar and hosepipe. It always seems strange that a band that is fairly successful in england has only one big hit in america and is never heard of again, although in Dexy's case it could be easily explained by Kevin's contrariness. The only reason i know it was their only US hit was that it was a joke on the simpsons. Thats where i get all my preconceptions about america (that was a semi-joke in case i start off another of those UK/US which-is-best arguments. The answer to that is we're both shite).

In a B&S Stylee, i noticed last night that the start of each verse of 'slow graffitti' is exactly the same as that of 'the laughing gnome' or whatever its called by Dave Bowie of the Dave Bowie Band (Mark Radcliffe reference for the chap recommending his book. I too wholeheartedly say 'buy it now, it'll change your life, if only that you'll be reading that rather than something else').

Elliot Smith, he's good isn't he? I have nothing else to say on that subject.

Game Over
You have scored 0000000000001 points

Rich

PS sorry for the Tom Wolfe-ian digressions but my mind is a bit like that at the moment, easily distracted. Dunno why bu.... Ooh look, there's a squirrel.