Sinister: Momus/Tindersticks

Kevan Cooke fatslug at xxx.com
Fri Jan 8 10:57:41 GMT 1999

I was going to mention the new Momus project, and suggest that we club
together and get him to do a song about the Sinister list, but I see
that someone has beaten me to it.

If anyone is interested, the reason why Momus is rapidly heading towards
bankruptcy is that his last album contained a song called "Walter Carlos"
about the pioneering moogster who became Wendy Carlos shortly after recording
"Switched on Bach Vol. 1"

Unfortunately Wendy Carlos took objection to the track and turned up with a
writ at one of the dates on Momus' recent US tour.  My understanding was that
Momus won the initial court case, but decided to remove the offending track
anyway, out of respect for Wendy Carlos.

The fact that Momus is now seeking to recover legal costs, and is unable
to talk about the reasons why, would seem to indicate that Wendy Carlos
has persisted with her legal actions in spite of the fact that the track
has been removed, and was intended as a tribute in the first place.

Lest we forget, this is not the first time that Nick Currie has run into
such problems.  A few years back the track "Michelin Man" was removed
from the album "Hippopotomomus" after threats of legal action.  By all
accounts there was a colourful Michelin board meeting where the song's
lyrics were read out to the horrified directors.

On another subject entirely, the Tindersticks have had a couple of mentions
in the last few days.

I'd just like to add that the Isabella Rosellini duet "A Marriage Made in
Heaven" which appears on Donkeys was originally recorded by the Tindersticks
in 1993 with Nicky from Huggy Bear on vocals.  Just my personal opinion of
course, but that version was a hell of a lot better than the newer one.

The "Nennette et Boni" soundtrack is mostly instrumental.  The highlight is
a pared down version of "Tiny Tears" which is also included on Donkeys, so
the soundtrack album is really for the dedicated Tindersticks fan only.

Kevan
The Fat Slug

ps Good to see you back Keith, even if you did leave for less time than
   some of the people who unsubscribed over Christmas ;)