Sinister: Re: Wee Chris Sightings

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Fri Jan 8 14:15:47 GMT 1999

> They're not holed up in Glasgow ensconced in some
>  creative idyll, playing recorders and making headwear out of twigs and
>  flowers.

Chris Leonard -- is he making fun of the Incredible String Band here???  IS
he???  (oh,and several of us have gotten inquiries about you from BT --
something about misuse of telephone lines for perversions?  I said I never
heard of you, except by reputation, if that helps at all.)

And, speaking of Chrises, which we weren't really, but maybe we were, Linda's
post about seeing sweet shy Wee Chris in Waterstone's, looking to see if he's
famous yet, was so funny and sweet:  perhaps we should have a Sinister Thread
of Wee Chris sightings...  Megan the Magnetic could certainly share a sweet
one from the bar in Washington D.C., well share it again in any event, as most
of us seem to be too lazy to use the archives anyhow (sorry Honey, they're
lovely and work beautifully, "Well Done -- Gold Star!")

Here is one, from Washington DC as well...

After the show, Johnfm and I are standing around as the crowd files out...
Neil comes over and shows off his radical new haircut, his sole souvenir of
the American South apparently, but certainly a striking one as we didn't even
recognize him at first, so probably better than the snow globes with the boll
weevils in them.  We're talking about the quality of the show and Wee Chris
comes over and stands with us, looking shy as he always does and being very
quiet in his turtleneck.   Suddenly, a fan in his 20's comes up to him, all
excited and gasping, "YOU!  YOU'RE the boy in the Arab Strap!!!  Aren't you?
Isn't that you?"  Wee Chris' eyes fly open wide and his head goes back a
bit...  he blinks his eyes as if caught in the headlights and he says, "Oh,
ummm, no.  I left it home."

I didn't listen to the rest of the conversation as it might have been personal
from that point on.

And from NY:

Wee Chris is in the balcony, talking to someone, maybe about arab straps, who
knows?  Very intense conversation in any event, with Wee Chris bending his
head in and talking very seriously.  Rocking back and forth on his heels,
talking with his hands.  Matt comes over and asks me, "Is that Evan Dando
Chris is talking to?"  I don't know, and Matt says that Brian says it's him.
We look at them for awhile and I figure he looks too healthy to be Evan, but
Brian is the personality expert so maybe it is.  We shrug.  Then Megan the
Magnetic comes over and asks, "Is that Evan Dando talking to Wee Chris?"  We
refer her to Brian.  She wonders whether to interrupt the conversation and
wonders what to say to Chris.  After pondering several conversational topics,
we decide she should point out that she and he have the same shoes on, sort of
reddish One Stars or something.  Off she goes.  They talk shoes.  He probably
thinks she's stalking him, as we don't see him in the balcony for the rest of
the evening.

And oh!  It was indeed Evan Dando I guess, but he was apparently asked to
leave later.  A bit too much beer and an incident.  May or may not have
involved Chris' arab strap.

So, there are two Wee Chris Sightings.(Mick McMick will have to decide if they
are anecdotes or ink polaroids...).  Not as endearing as Linda's tho'.  I'd
have paid good money to have seen hers.

--michele/simone