Sinister: rebel angels

jessica tinystar at xxx.com
Sun Jan 10 04:45:16 GMT 1999

hi all,

mmm, i bought some new and wonderful underwear today, dispelling the myth
that cheap underwear and expensive underwear are the same. indeed, they are
not, as i sit here marvelling at the way my new halston underwear make my
belly look like one sassy belly. for those of you in toronto (or near an
eaton's store), all the halston underwear is 50% off, so indulge. i
certainly did.

about evan dando: i still have the biggest crush on him! ever since i heard
the lemonheads version of "luka" i've been smitten. i even had a dream about
him once (well, erm, more than once, but that's not the point) where i was
in the hospital and he came in wearing a big furry moose costume and sang me
a song and gave me hugs to make me feel all better. i felt fuzzy for days.

about lesleyjo's wishes to ban wrapping paper: noooo! i say it should just
be necessary to reuse all of it. i found the most amazing paper this year,
some was plain silver and shiny, and there were others with pink angels on
clouds, and still more with shiny sparkly hologram dots. and yes, i am
totally anal with my wrapping paper as with everything else, and i slit the
packages open very cautiously. i've even tried using a knife to slice the
tape, but my family drew the line. however, we reuse all our wrapping paper,
even ribbons and bows, and i made several little bags that people are
reusing.

about my single people lament: i was being totally serious when i said that
i like staying home on saturday nights. and look! it's saturday night, and
i'm writing a message to a hundred people who really just exist in my head
and listening to stereolab and wearing my halston underwear that nobody else
will get to see (so feel lucky that you've had a description). but i'm not
bitter, oh no. i just get mad crushes on boys that write me email and live
on the other side of the world and can't make me soup to console me when i'm
sick. poo. but i will say that it's terribly scary to have friends who are
getting married. it makes me feel so...old. not in a bad way, just in a way
that's startling to me. like the same feeling i get when i listen to "retro
night" on the radio and discover that the songs they're playing are the
songs that i danced to in my first years of highschool. it just illustrates
how fast time goes, how undervalued it is, and how little of it i seem to be
able to remember. thank goodness for journals, and the fact that each
birthday comes with cake.

at work today, a gentleman with a little boy (isaac, 6 months, because i
usually ask) asked me why a man with a baby is a woman magnet, but a woman
with a baby is generally man repellent. i had to check my heart eyes before
i told him that it was because women already have this maternal instinct
that's assumed, and seeing them with children frightens some men, because
they're reminded that they may not be ready for certain obligations and
commitments, like a family, plus all their male ideals are called upon and
questioned. whereas a man with a baby appears to be well rounded and in
touch with his sensitive side: women like it if men do what is not
stereotypically expected of them and bond with the child. and women who see
this bonding are assured that the man is not afraid of showing emotion and
that he has within him the capacity to be sensitive and in touch with his
emotions. of course, all this is assumed. but this guy was really surprised
that i came up with that answer, which i'm sure sounded like a textbook
answer from somewhere, but that's what comes of too much thinking. and then
he bought a carseat, and i had the opportunity to bond with isaac. it's
amazing how a nice conversation with a total stranger can renew your faith
in humanity.

it's snowing again! this is the biggest snowfall in toronto in 40 years,
perfect for snow angels. i can feel your jealousy, but don't worry, mud
angels are just as fun.

mwah mwah,
jessicaxo