Sinister: A Call to Action, from Noam Chomsky, et. al

Robert Morris winboog at xxx.net
Sun Jan 10 19:34:25 GMT 1999

I would like to belong to just one mailing list where Chomsky never comes
up. Is this too much to ask? Thanks for the Spam Jeffrey.

                   Robert Morris
                   winboog at gis.net

now playing-Elvis Presley, the Memphis Record
----------
barth.33 at osu.edu; accraig at bgnet.bgsu.edu; ferrell.55 at osu.edu; Marta Maria
Kline <klinema1 at pilot.msu.edu>; hover.10 at osu.edu;
ra274798 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu; Sarah Megan Brown <brownsa5 at pilot.msu.edu>;
Douglas Glaser <glaserdo at pilot.msu.edu>
> Subject: Sinister: A Call to Action, from Noam Chomsky, et. al
> Date: Saturday, January 09, 1999 4:30 PM
>

> *****************
> Please distribute as widely as possible
> *****************
>

>  A Call to Action on Sanctions and the U.S. War Against the People of
Iraq

>        by Noam Chomsky, Edward Herman, Edward Said, and Howard Zinn
>
>                                 January 8, 1999
>
> At the end of 1998, the United States once again rained bombs on the
people of
> Iraq. But even when the bombs stop falling, the U.S. war against the
people of
> Iraq continues through the harsh economic sanctions. This is a call to
action
> to end all the war.
>
> This month U.S. policy will kill 4,500 children under the age of 5 in
Iraq,
> according to UN studies, just as it did last month and the month before
that,
> all the way back to 1991. Since the end of the Gulf War, at least
hundreds of
> thousands -- maybe more than 1 million -- Iraqis have died as a direct
result
> of the UN sanctions on Iraq, which are a direct result of U.S. policy.
>
> This is not foreign policy -- it is sanctioned mass-murder that is
nearing
> holocaust proportions. If we remain silent, we are condoning a genocide
that is
> being perpetrated in the name of peace in the Middle East, a mass
slaughter
> that is being perpetrated in our name.
>
> The time has come for a call to action to people of conscience. We are
past the
> point where silence is passive consent -- when a crime reaches these
> proportions, silence is complicity.
>
> There are several tasks ahead of us.  First, we must organize and make
this
> issue a priority, just as Americans organized to stop the war in Vietnam,
and
> to protest U.S. policies in Central America and South Africa. We need a
> national campaign to lift the sanctions.
>
> This kind of work has already begun, and those efforts need our help. For
the
> past several years, individuals and groups have been delivering medicine
and
> other supplies to Iraq in defiance of the U.S. blockade. Now, members of
one of
> those groups, Voices in the Wilderness in Chicago, have been threatened
with
> massive fines by the federal government for "exportation of donated
goods,
> including medical supplies and toys, to Iraq absent specific prior
> authorization." Our government is harassing a peace group that takes
medicine
> and toys to dying children; we owe these courageous activists our
support.

> Such a campaign is not equivalent to support for the regime of Saddam
Hussein.