Sinister: Clarice Lispector

Gabriela Sampaio gabi77 at xxx.br
Tue Jan 12 07:20:52 GMT 1999

On Friday, January 8th, Cynthia wrote:

while everyone is on the subject of favorite writers, and Infinite Jest (a dreary and godless book but very funny. that book upset me), can anyone recommend a good Clarice Lispector book ... I'm suspecting I can't get through apple in the dark because my translation of it is terrible. If any of you are at all curious about her, she's a wonderful Brazilian author and a little hard/dense. She creates these very subtle, psychological landscapes in her novels.

Hi...

I've just subscribed the list and I'm still trying to figure out what's going on and who's who here. Anyway I got pretty surprised to see that Clarice Lispector was the subject of an e-mail, I wasn't expecting that at all... ;)

Well... Cynthia. I am Brazilian and I appreciate "cronicas" very much. Guess they are one of the few genuine things in a newspaper. But I had no idea that there wasn't such thing outside Brazil... Unfortunately I haven't read much of Clarice's works after I left school but a few weeks ago we had a list with the 100 best novels of the century (James Joyce's Ulisses and Finnegan's Wake got 1st and 10th place respectively... God I still couldn't finish reading them...!) and also the 30 best Brazilian novels of the century list. It hapens that apart from being one of the two women in the list, Clarice Lispector had three novels included in it. Unfortunately I don't have the name of them in English but I hope it is of some help. They are: "A Paixao Segundo G.H.", "A Hora da Estrela"  and "Agua Viva". Enjoy your reading!

By the way... are there any Brazilians in the list?

Ciao!

Gabi