Sinister: And The Winner Is...

Warrander John - FML WarranderJ at xxx.uk
Tue Jan 12 14:20:33 GMT 1999

La-di-da, look at us, scoffing at whoever chooses the candidates
for the Brits cos they put B&S in the "Best New Band" category.
How clever we are. And how foolish they are. And why the
defeatist attitude at our heroes' chances? Of course they're
going to win.

Anyway, that Papercuts fanzine thingy is a jolly good read you
know. I've no idea what Mr Miller is going on about but I still have
this strange fascination making me all excited at the prospect of
volume 2. Is this a semi-autobiographical piece of work by any
chance? Is Stewpot a thinly disguised characterisation of a
person I think I can safely say everybody on this list wants to
snog? A very scary Australian tells a tale of being intimidated in
London. I find this very hard to believe having met her and shat
my pants. And McTaggart goes on about Gainsbourg and weird
European shit, so no surprises there. Actually Robert, you never
mentioned the anecdote about visiting Serge's grave and people
leaving empty fag packets on it. I like that story. And if I ever go
to Edinburgh and it's sunny I will almost certainly climb to the top
of a high hill and listen to Television. I think congratulations are
in order for Mr Trousers actually, a job well done. Even if the
dedication on the back does make it sound like Paul's dead.

Also, I got that "Songs For Marshmallow Lovers" compilation on
Marina and was very cynical, but it's shockingly good. I'm amazed.
I was wrong all along. Indiepop rules. It doesn't really, I'm just
trying to mess with Mick McMick's mind.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Tag's bits in Papercuts are the
best. Well, the poor wee blighter is so unhappy now that
someone's gone home to Canada, I thought I'd cheer him up
by pampering his ego. Is there any harm in that?

And just one more thing, Manchester's disco of choice for a
top night of drinking and dancing (that's Smile to the uninitiated)
hung up its slipmats for the very last time at the weekend. The
very final record ever played was "Thank You For Being You" by
The Pastels. How sweet. Anyway, that's me staying in for the rest
of my life. No wonder I'm a bitter and twisted old sod.

Love...John