Sinister: We're so pretty, oh so pretty

Martin_Conneely at xxx.ie Martin_Conneely at xxx.ie
Tue Jan 12 17:36:14 GMT 1999

Kevan Cooke, before spilling the beans on the Sex Pistols, wrote: >>I would
have expected Mrs Murdoch to say "caretaker" rather
than "janitor".  Perhaps Struan picked up a few Americanisms on tour, and
they've rubbed off on his mother<<  (And Archel was worried that sarcasm
mightn't transfer to the list!)

Maybe my aged memory is totally bollocksed but I thought that DC Thomson of
Glasgow used to feature the persecution of school janitors as a staple in
their comics (Bash St Kids, and so on). If I'm right, Mrs Murdoch would
have picked up the term when reading aloud to little Struan - there must
have been some nights when he said "We'll give Kafka a break for a while."

Which reminds me, James Kelman's book "How Late it was, how late" is a very
funny and bleak version of what Kafka would have written if he had been a
Glaswegian.

Martin C