Sinister: Because we don't want to

Charlotte Hall Charlotte.Hall at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 13 15:37:18 GMT 1999

     The news that B&S have been nominated for best newcomers is really
     quite astonishing. In a bourgeois sort of way I am quite excited by
     the whole thing. Obviously I'm policing my own thoughts as to why that
     might be. Really though, who would have thought that a band more or
     less influenced by Felt, Momus and the Incredible String Band would
     ever be acknowledged by the corporate world of the likes of Jonathan
     King? I am looking forward to the first powerful argument against the
     whole vacuous money-grabbing spectacle of the Brits, but I suspect
     that might have to wait until Billie takes the stage.

     As US readers won't know (some references to this tour de force have
     already been made), the Brits was much dignified one year by the
     unlikely pairing of Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood as presenters. You can
     only try to imagine, as I am doing now, what could possibly trump
     that. I'm seeing Brian May from Queen teamed with Alessandra
     Mussolini.

     On reflection there is no prospect less amusing than that of Belle &
     Sebastian actually winning something, if only because of the
     Sinisterine backlash. Why, we'll be deserting the list in droves -
     won't we?

     Charlotte