Sinister: eurovision

Patrick Osborne patrickosborne at xxx.com
Wed Jan 13 20:27:27 GMT 1999

Someone mentioned the german on eurovision, yes he was pretty funny but he
undermined the basic concept of eurovision, which is that yes it's naff but
the contestants must take it seriously, therein lies its naffness and
wonder.  some friends of mine and I got together last year and ate food of
each nationality when the song was playing, which led to some rather
interesting juxtapositions of food (pickled herring - Sweden, bratwurst -
Germany, etc.) but it was lots of fun to do and recommended.  glad to hear
that mew enjoyed our little euro-culture fest, just remember it when your
american friends go on about cultured Europe, ha ha.  I'm hoping to be in
israel this year when it all happens (just by accident!), incidentally,
since when was Israel in Europe?

B&S content: in one way it would be great if they won the Brit award but in
another way not...I've always hated that attitude of people who won't
listen to a band they formerly liked once they've become more widely
successful, or who claim they've "sold out" but B&S winning a Brit just
doesn't seem to gel with me somehow...

Patrick