Sinister: Salinger, Bollocks and underwear!

Gabriela Sampaio gabi77 at xxx.br
Thu Jan 14 01:10:30 GMT 1999

Hello sisters and brothers (May I call you that? :)  )

This is my second post and I've got enough to say, even though there's nothing much to do with b&s.... Perhaps it's just because I've just been introduced to them and I still haven't recovered from the "epiphany", as someone once described that is to listen to them. Anyway, I'' try to be brief and not write a very long e-mail....

First of all, you guys are so lucky! You have snow and some of you complain? Well, before you start that again, when you are tired of shovelling the snow in front of your houses, just remember that there are people living in the Tropics that never had the chance of seeing snow falling, make snow fights or snow angels... All we have here is sun, sun, and sun... Almost 9 months of the year and the rest is cold, but not THAT, cold... Right now, even though it's summer in Brazil and in the rest of the Southern Hemisphere, all we have is rain. Probably one day I'll bump into Noah and his arch, because things are getting unbearable...lol

Michael... I think Frolic, or Frolics in this case, rhyme best with BOLLIX. Which was the funniest way I've seen bollocks ever written. LOL!

Eurovision... wasn't last year that an Israeli travesty won a prize or something? I think that would be perfect for Eurotrash, one of my favourite shows too that I can get in our cable tv...  But for my experience with British Television, or should I say, Irish television, I remember this really strange show... I can't remember the name, but it was in Glasgow and the characters were all drunk and incredibly weird looking. I couldn't understand a word they said. My Irish friends told me not to worry then, because they couldn't understand a word either and that's why it was so funny... LOL

What would have Kafka written if he were Glaswegian? Hehehe....

You are also complaining that you missed b&s concerts... Consider yourselves lucky again! At least they meant to play there... What about here? Does anyone know if they have ever considered the idea of playing in Brazil?

The catcher in the rye is one of my favourites and Holden Caulfield is my hero... :) I knew that JD lived isolated somewhere in the American East Coast...But thanks, now I know it's New Hampshire... Didn't he write anything after he decided to turn into a hermit? I heard, I'm not sure that one of his ex-girlfriends wrote a book and told a few secrets about the poor man... Has anyone heard about that? I'll take your advice, Debbie, and I'm going to read  Raise High the Roofbeams Carpenters and Seymour an Introduction

To Jessica: I love underwear too. But one thing struck me when I spent some time in Ireland. I went shopping with a friend and when we got to the Underwear section I thought, well, maybe it would be a good idea to bring some home but...I think it was Miss Selfridges the name of the shop.... God... Weird underwear. I mean, all they had was huge things that covered all your buttocks or tiny thongs that made me blush... Why didn't they have something right in the middle of those two types? I mean... Something not THAT big and not THAT tiny? They are much sexier that is!  ;)

Btw... Now that everybody decided to tell the colour of their underwear... I'm wearing black cotton panties with a little ladybug embroidered on the back (I'm such a child!!). No bra, as I think that when you are at home you deserve to have some liberties, don't you think girls? LOL Jessica... Thanks. Now I'm going to get paranoid and start to think I might be in the middle of a flood and my underwear is not co-ordinating.... LOL

David... I had never heard about Felt, The Pastels and Denim before... so if that makes you feel better, you're not the only one... and if you ever get that tape, remember to tell me if I should go straight to the record store and buy their records... :)

Oh! Right.... Before I forget I ahven't introduced myself properly to the brothers and sisters (lol). My name is Gabriela, I am 21 (will be 22 in March...) and live in São Paulo, Brazil... I'm studying Journalism. To name a few of my favourite things: Oscar Wilde, 80's stuff, reading/writing, travelling, partying and now... apart from listening non-stop to the Smiths... listening to Belle&Sebastian... ! There you go....

Ciao ciao

Gabi