Sinister: the 411

Tara Widmer TWidmer at xxx.com
Thu Jan 14 23:34:16 GMT 1999

Hallo listees!
my name is Tara and it's been a long time since I've written anything, so
most of you probably don't recognize me and those who do probably didn't
miss me anyway:-P. but! alas, I have just come back from vacationing in
Britain, and an otherwise ill-advised trip was made more worthwhile cos I
got to attend the one and only Big Bash in Brighton Sinister Meetup!
<crosses arms and grins smugly, feeling the jealousy of non-attendees. Or
something.>
It doesn't look like anyone's dished the dirt, so here you go~
the result was not unlike a United Colors of Benetton poster, with
representatives from the England, America, Finland, Scotland and, erm...the
U.S...and oh yes,...yet another American showed up...hm.
Between the 800 of us, can i admit that I'd felt somewhat apprehensive about
going in the first place, afraid of encountering a clique of people who
already knew each other and would laugh at my bad haircut, but those fears
ultimately proved to be even more ridiculous than my hair!  Everyone (ok it
was a small gathering) proved to be absolutely lovely... poo to you if you
didn't go! A goodlooking, interesting, friendly bunch who can manage to
drink copious amounts of alcohol and still walk straight!!!! (this excludes
myself, of course, the boring lardass who was out cold after one bacardi
breezer.)  It was a pleasure. Our group, convening in a pub, even attracted
a new member - one "Wendy from Liverpool", the Drunkest Woman Ever, who did
us the pleasure (?) of singing many a Catatonia tune.
Anyway, a big shout out to everyone I met, I owe you all about 4 rounds of
drinks which I fully intend to stick to next time I visit Brighton - which
in itself was a treat to see, a lovely city, and I can't wait to go back.
Special props to Jamie for organizing the whole to-do, I crown thee Stud of
the month for your efforts! and apologize that I didn't say a proper goodbye
as i meant to... hehe, when fatboy slim calls, one must dance... :-)

In related news, whilst in England I stayed in a dispicable Youth hostel in
Holland Park for the first couple days, until the Dec. 28th or so. My last
night there, I was reclining in the lounge and an indie-type guy walked by
clutching a few Cds. Lo and behold, they were everso cleverly arranged in
his grasp so that one could see even from a couch across the room that he
was listening to "Modern Rock Song EP" by you know who. There's me, sat
wearing a Study at Stow t-shirt under my sweatshirt and on the verge of
saying something, but afraid my just-out-of-the-shower, disheveled,
unibomber-a-like appearance would frighten away said hipster...(excuses,
excuses) *sigh*...anyway, was that anybody on the list?? I half expected to
see you at the Brighton meet...

And the New Order AllyPally show, aka A Total Waste of $84, was where i met
a boy who decided to hold me responsible for everything America has ever
done wrong.  Unable to convincingly pull off the "No, I'm actually Canadian"
spiel, this young lad concluded his anti-American tirade with, "and they
don't even appreciate good music! i mean, have you even *heard* of like,
Belle and Sebastian?" well you can see where this lead... 20 minutes later
and it was all happiness and love, our common love of Glasgow's finest
managing to bridge the international/socioeconomic/political differences
separating us thus far...ahhhh...

So that's the story i'm sticking to! Happy new year etc.

tata,
tara