Sinister: gimme some mo'

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.Edu
Fri Jan 15 04:10:30 GMT 1999

Joss wrote:
> Someone mentioned John Irving. I've just finished Garp and enjoyed it
> greatly. Although I was disappointed that part of it was such a re-hash of
> the 158 Pound Marriage. I'm about to start Infinite Jest, but it's
> difficult not to procrastinate before attempting such a mammoth task.
> Perhaps I may have to fortify myself with a couple of vodka and red bulls
> before setting off. I fear its contents.

  Infinite Jest.  I have been reading Infinite Jest since October.  I'm
normally a very speedy reader, but this book is tremendous.  And parts of
it are so funny (esp. the tongue scraper advertisement), I find myself
slowing down the pace just for the sake of prolonging the pleasure of
reading them.  If you've not read any other David Foster Wallace, I'd
suggest you read his fabulous collection of essays, A Supposedly Fun
Thing I'll Never Do Again, before undertaking IJ, as (I'm told) it's
known in some hip literary circles.  Moreover, read his shorter novel,
The Broom of the System, and his collection of short stories, Girl With
Curious Hair, just because both are so damn good.

  What else is everyone reading right now?  I am midway through
Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow (friends and family expressed shock when I
told them I'd not read it, so I figured I'd jump on the boat), just
finished Bret Easton Ellis' The Rules of Attraction (and am eagerly
awaiting the library to call and tell me his newest novel, Glamorama, is
in), and, unfortunately, am trudging through Adam Bede for my George
Eliot and Virginia Woolf seminar.

  W/R/T underwears, I only like Ralph Lauren cotton underwire bras and
cotton undies.  I wear these items in black, cream, white, grey, and navy
blue.  I don't like underwear with stuff, like hearts or flowers or bows
or kittens or anything, on it, nor do I like bras that have little bows on
the front in the middle.  So there.

  Much Love,
  Kristen

  on my feet: grey wool DKNY sneakers with elastic across the tops
  np: Tortoise- TNT