Sinister: Everywhere I go, the kids just wanna P!O!P

Mctaggart, Robert MctaggartR at xxx.com
Fri Jan 15 17:55:21 GMT 1999

Gentle reader,

Wow!  Indie truly is the future of music, isn't it?  It's dangerous,
groundbreaking, zeitgeist-defining, with no respect for genre barriers.  It
can make you fly like an eagle, walk like a panther, or shag like a rabbit.
No wonder kids from Brooklyn to Borneo are digging the sounds.  But how
indie are you really?  Can you tell your Field Mice from your Fields of the
Neph?  Try this simple test and find out....

1 What do you normally post to Sinister?

a) *Outrageous* descriptions of your favourite kids TV programmes and what
underwear you're wearing.
b) "Has anyone else noticed how Belle and Sebastian sound like the Field
Mice?" followed by frantic pleas to be nice cos you're very shy.
c) Cheap innuendo at Stuart Murdoch's expense

2 Belle and Sebastian scoop a Brits award?  Do you...?

a) Masturbate furiously
b) Cry and run to your room to burn all your B&S records because they've
SOLD OUT to the MAN and now common people will like them
c) Make cheap innuendo at Stuart Murdoch's expense.

3 If someone was to ask you the catalogue number of "Tigermilk", would your
response be...?

a) Tigerwhat?
b) Correct to 12 decimal places
c) Who cares?

4 What is your favourite club?

a) The night in town which plays a huge variety both Britpop AND indie, plus
"relevant dance" (i.e. the Beastie Boys) and "upfront 60's" (i.e. the Small
Faces)?
b) Tufty
c) Mile High

5 Which rockstar would you must like to shag:

a) Cerys Matthews
b) Isobel Cambell, although, I object to the use of the word "rock", and we
wouldn't shag, we'd just hold hands and have a picnic
c) Serge Gainsbourg

6 Thom Yorke is:

a) A poet, he feels my pain
b) A sell-out corporate whore
c) Hilarious

7 Northern Soul is:

a) Not as good as "Urban hymns"
b) Too commercial and lacking in jangling rickenbackers
c) Sex

8 What would you like played at your funeral?

a) "Lager Lager Lager" by Underworld
b) "Fox in the snow"
c) Strip poker

9 How did you spend the Sinister meet-ups?

a) Down the front in my trusty DM's
b) Looking for foxes
c) Ruling

Award yourself one point for each (a), two for each (b) and none for each
(c).

Here are the results:

No points Yes, Keith, very clever.

1-6 points

Indie traitor!  I suppose you're feeling very pleased with yourself.  Well,
just because you stopped buying Sarah records when you were 21 doesn't mean
you can be smug about it.  I bet you wrote a fanzine once.  And you still
like the Pastels.

7-12 points

Baaaaa.  That's you, you big bloody sheep.  If Steve Lamacq told you jump
off a bridge, I bet you would.  I bet you haven't even heard "Perfection as
a hipster".

12-18 points

Congratulations!  You are young, and what's more, you are foolish.  Your
alphanumerical record filing system is a joy to behold, and what's more
you're better than everyone else, because you liked them first.

Award yourself an extra two points if you were thinking of telling me that
I'd made a mistake in question 8, you bloody trainspotter.

Don't write in, it's only a game.

Love tag xx