Sinister: Johnny's Diets

John Johnston johnj at xxx.com
Mon Jan 18 14:11:03 GMT 1999

"This weekend I have been mostly listening to .... Lloyd Cole" and very
nice it was too. But listening to "Are you ready to be heartbroken"
prompted a question in my mind...  who was Arthur Lee and what were his
records like? I'm sure you can put me straight.

I'm full of questions at the moment - why is the Art of Fishing not
available in the Tyne Tees region?

And I've got a bit of a competition, too. I can't think of a prize but
maybe one will come to mind and anyway I don't want to appeal to your
baser instincts. But I need a new word. It's all a propos of an
historical conversation with a Canadian friend of mine many years ago.
This chap [who once began a letter to me by saying that my last letter
had been "without doubt been the finest contribution to Political
Economy since Ricardo (Montalban)" - well it made me laugh but then
that's the kind of highbrow gag that I enjoy, oh but I digress....] was
wondering about what kind of a world it was in which so many people we
being thrown out of windows that they thought - we need a word for this
and thus "defenestration" was born. Well, recently I've spent a lot of
time waiting for buses and I'd like a new word (a noun please) that when
looked up in the dictionary would be defined as ...

n. The sense of joy when long overdue public transport turns up. (Orig.
obscure maybe Sinister 1999)

I bet there's a word for it in German - I'd be interested to know it in
any language - Thai, Oon?
Don't send your answers to the list send them to me - johnj at intapps.com
and I might send the winner something great! Or maybe not.

xx
John