Sinister: Re: The Boy With The Boxer-Briefs

Jessica Murphy jmurphy at xxx.Edu
Mon Jan 18 21:17:18 GMT 1999

Hello list,

I'm glad someone mentioned Lloyd Cole & the Commotions, because it's a
perfect gray rainy day for listening to "Rattlesnakes."  And I miss the
Monday Poem; will the parrot ever come back?

It's officially a holiday today but I'm doing some work anyway.  So, I'm
in the mood to respond to this work-related suggestion:

> of tea, send something. One suggestion I'll make is that you all tell
> us what you do for a living or something, that's always rather
> interesting, especially juxtaposing it with you humming Belle and
> Sebastian at your place of work...

I'm at a university where I'm a graduate student slowly earning a degree
in art history but also doing a lot of work as a teaching assistant.  I
wish I could wear my "...Sinister" t-shirt while I'm teaching, or make
some kind of coded reference to B & S in class, to see if any of my
students would react...  Recently I was talking with a student who needed
me to write a reference for him, and at the end of our meeting I was
putting his paperwork away in my bag when he spotted my B & S
rude-little-boy button on the bag, and his eyes brightened and we ended up
talking about music for a while.  So that was a nice accidental discovery
for both of us.

And, on a somewhat related note, while home for the holidays, I had my
first B & S parental experience. I'd made a compilation tape for my mother
to listen to in the car, and she came home one day and said that she'd
really enjoyed it.  Apparently her favorites were "the one about the boy
on a bus, and the one about a walk in the park."  I hadn't written any
titles on the tape, so I thought that was kind of sweet.  Which songs she
actually meant is anyone's guess...

> Underwear scare stories
> but they're not any old boxers. No, no they are a hybrid or
> perhaps a mutation of the boxer. You could say they were half box,
> and I hate to say this, half Y front.

I'm afraid I don't have any scare stories at the moment, other than the
realization that if I don't do some laundry soon, I won't have *any*
available underwear.  So, I'm off.

And you're still falling,

jessica m