Sinister: Too orangey for crows (slight return)

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Wed Jan 20 15:22:57 GMT 1999

Hullo, fellow Torquay United fans:

Scott said of "We Rule the School":

I prefer to read it not as Stuart speaking as a
girl (which of course he does alot), but instead as Stuart's worldview as a
bit different than that of a "man". "Man" here being different than simply
"male" (which is having the proper genitalia), but "man" signifying the
common Macho- business - boy -fully -competent-a t-all-things-manly type of
social construction (social gender and genetic sexuality don't need to be
identical). I think stuey and the b&s ethic are a pretty good expression of
something different than the "world made for men". Don't ya think?

Absolutely. I never got the impression that he was being a female at all,
but rather that it never even occurred to him that he could be considered a
"man", which for me has as much a sense of convention as machismo. It also
could be a rejection of responsibility, coupled with the wistful nostalgia
over school days (I find it a little too cloying to envisage Stuart
picturing himself as a schoolboy once more) - he seems to be equating
growing up with being no longer able to do things like ice skating, which is
a fine analogy, in my opinion.

Nostalgia - a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there,
etc...

The Stereolab/B&S connection, to me, seems to be both bands' debt to the
Velvet Underground and it's constituent members - Mo Tucker's sparse, simple
songs do have something in common with Isobel's, even if it is a lazy
comparison. I agree with the Sleep the Clock Around similarities, and would
add the start of Tyjamas and Electronic Renaissance, not to mention the
Sister Ray in miniature that Judy is trying to be before dissolving into a
gorgeous winsome singalong. But the most important thing that simply has to
be said is BUY THE FIRST STEREOLAB ALBUM, "PENG!", as it is utterly
fantastic, nowhere near as poncey and self-indulgent as their more recent
drum'n'jazz noodlings, much as I like them, and sounds the most like B&S
(just about). It is the only album in the world as good as Tigermilk, even
if it lags just that crucial bit behind IYFS.

That's all, really. Except to say to Mick that he must, must persevere with
Hefner who are simply beautiful - sell your kidneys to get the "Breaking
God's Heart" album of last year. I promise you, it'll make you come.
Buckets.

Se you on Friday,
Salvatore "The Marsupial" Del Fantone