Sinister: indie rock glasses

Nicholas Joseph Marino nmarino at xxx.edu
Wed Jan 20 19:40:10 GMT 1999

Long time lurker here, brought from the shadows whereupon Someone wrote
the following in reference to the pics at
http://www.begbie.com/rod/photos/nhs.html

>your glasses are amazing. I love them. Truly you were an icon of modern
>fashion even at a young age... That sort of intentional dork-look is
>quite avante-garde. Witness Todd Solendz (i hope I've spelt that right)
>the filmmaker. I've been looking for a pair of glasses like that for some
>time..

Ah yes, the indie rock glasses.  Worn by intentional dorks (up to and
including myself) all around our book-reading, smiths-loving, worldwide
hipster community.

The black frames and the slightly thicker than necessary lenses
(sometimes prescription, sometimes not) offer us a sinister layer of
protection from the cruel mainstream world.

A good lot of the indie kids around my radio station wear said glasses,
and a knowing understanding is exchanged when I have mine on as well.
This is only heightened when one or more parties have dark denim jeans on,
rolled up once or twice but never more.

Wee Chris wears them, that guy from Everclear in the Gap ad wears them,
even *horror of horrors* Leo Dicaprio has been snapped with the
specs at some ultra-swank hollywood gala.

So yes, here's to our indie rock glasses.  May they live long with the
sight-impaired (or just plain fashionable) hipsters till our library cards
all expire.

Sorry to pull you away from chat about unmentionables...I'll post again in
several months, as is my practice.
Nick