Sinister: You Should All Be Murdered

Mick McMick * Sandcastle Records bp224996 at xxx.edu
Wed Jan 20 21:24:25 GMT 1999

Hi Everyone,
	Oh, don't take offense at the title, I'm just in a Harvey mood after
getting a copy of London Weekend & listening to it now. A shame I
couldn't make it to the Po Caff to see him, but since I'm on another
continent...well, I digress.

Mark Casarotto writes:

> But the most important thing that simply has to be said is BUY THE
> FIRST STEREOLAB ALBUM, "PENG!", as it is utterly fantastic, nowhere
> near as poncey and self-indulgent as their more recent drum'n'jazz
> noodlings, much as I like them, and sounds the most like B&S (just > about). It is the only album in the world as good as Tigermilk, even
> if it lags just that crucial bit behind IYFS.

	Hm, I have to say the reverse. I always thought Peng! and the earlier
Stereolab recordings were a bit too droney for me, and I hardly ever
listen to them. However, Dots & Loops (the new "poncey" album) is my
favorite of the lot, and my flatmate's too, and they're his favorite
band. I also don't think I mentioned that B&S have definate moments
where they resemble Stereolab's predecessors, McCarthy, whom I happen to
prefer slightly. See: "Le Pastie de la Bourgeoisie," & some of the Dogs
Doing Wheelies EP.
	And speaking of Stereolab, at the radio station I'm music director at,
today we got the new Pastels remix album. It is really quite good, I
found myself surprised at how much so, especially the evidently poncey
Stereolab remix, which has a nice flute thing going, and the remix by
John McEntire of Tortoise, who sound nothing like B&S. They thank Andy
Symington on the sleeve, as well. Why didn't he do a remix? Maybe he
could produce Alexis' banging house remix of The Boy with the Nipple
Clamps. Wait, no.
	Also, we got the new Mojave 3 album, which I myself had bought days
earlier. In case you missed hearing about it, 'twas recorded at Cava
Studios (as in "Ca va?" "Ca va.") with our favorite band's usual
producer, whatshisface, er I mean Tony Doogan, and Mick lends trumpet to
a bevy of songs. That's Mick Cooke, of course, not myself, because I've
never been to Cava and I play saxophone, not trumpet. Overall, the LP is
excellent, signifigantly better than their last, but of course nothing
like Slowdive. Soundwise it reminded me of a mix of a lot of Nick Drake,
a little B&S, some Beatles, and some miscellaneous steel pedal guitar.
Thoroughly good.
	Also forgot to mention yesterday (yet note you, I posted not until
today) that the Jeepster website has "The Gentle Waves," mentioned on
their bands page, and according to the website, it is Isobel's moniker
on her solo recordings, and there will be a single, album, and
"merchandise." I assume that will mean we can get a little plastic
Isobel who shoots Pezzes out of her mouth, and Isobel chewing gum and
all sorts of fun things like that. While I'm on this, I want some B&S
stickers. Is that too punk rock to ask? Surely I think not...
	Lovely day today, it felt like fall after a hot and boring summer, but
it is winter, and it was winter last week, cold and snowy. In fact,
today had a little of that spring-after-winter feeling as well, so it
was a mix of both. Really the nicest of both seasons, because spring has
too much rain, and fall has...well no, fall is exceedingly nice, and
could not be encompassed in a mere balmy winter day.
	Oh, but look at my inbox... No, don't actually. I'd best go and get on
those mails (sigh) as if I didn't have things to do. At least I don't
have to start on my paper yet...

 /"\_/"\_/"\  Mick McMick/Sandcastle Records <<->> bp224996 at ohiou.edu
 \         /  Sandcastle Records Homepage:                ICQ#5056758