Sinister: Some Manics fans slagging off B & S

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 20 21:29:06 GMT 1999

Hello again kids

A friend of mine, when trawling the web, came across a discussion of the
relative merits of the Manics and B&S which he thought I might be
interested in as a fan of both.  i read it, and all this has done has
continued my hatred of nearly all manics fans (who seem to think that by
listening to them they are cleverer and better people by osmosis) and
made me realise, and not for the first time, that you lot are the
loveliest people I know, as discussions of this nature on sinister would
NOT be tolerated, by honey or anyone else.

If anyone wants to laugh at these pseudo-intellectual Manics fans by
reading such gems as "B&S are crap because everyone on the internet
likes them", then I recommend you visit the following:

http://www.dejanews.com/=zzz_maf/dnquery.xp?search=thread&svcclass=dnserver&recnum=%3c36942238.0@newsread3.dircon.co.uk%3e%231/1

I was tempted to post a response, but I'm content to merely sit here and
laugh instead.  Sometimes that's enough, I think.

Oh, and Gary - see, we aren't the only Lloyd Cole fans left in the
world.

Finally, did everyone see in the Melody Maker's preview of the Brits
that they thought Belle & Sebastian should win the Best Newcomer Award?
This'll be the same Belle and Sebastian they have been relentlessly
championing since....ohh, about a month ago.  And haven;t they taken an
about-turn on Gomez?

Finally, finally... I remembered the other day in the Scotland on Sunday
review of 1998 (a reasonable Scottish Sunday newspaper which used to
mention B&S a fair bit in the old days before all their decent music
writers vanished) they described 1998 as the year that Belle and
Sebastian changed from the band who never talked to the band who never
shut up.  Did anyone else read this or did I hallucinate it after a few
too many sherry trifles?  And can anyone point out the resemblance
between this Belle and Sebastian they refer to and the band that we all
know and love?

And another thing.  (Sorry, I'm not good at endings).  Richard, thank
you for your review of Mercury Rev, I am going to see them in Glasgow in
a couple of weeks for the first time in five years.  Can anyone tell me
if they play anything that is pre-Deserters Songs?  And richard, the
real reason I metion your mail is to ask - wasn't Tony the reformed
alcoholic brother in Blossom - Joey was the younger stupider one that
left to pursue a dreadful singing career (OK i'm confusing real life
with the series now, but he was called Joey in real life too).

Sorry to have taken up so much of your time, I'm sure there will be
another, more interesting, post along soon.

Ailsa