Sinister: top twelve of the year

TheAdwiz at xxx.com TheAdwiz at xxx.com
Sun Jan 24 19:27:57 GMT 1999

since we're all in the same circle, i figured we always reccommend music to
one another  so why not exchange top twelve lists. Perhaps its because i care
or perhaps its out of pure boredom.......
Here we go.

1. UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
Yes, electronica can be good for you. This is not just a fashionable album as
Spin will tell you but an incredible work of art. Thom Yorke's "Rabbit in your
Headlights" is so haunting and there is such an eclectic style of electronica
here. Everytime i hear "Lonely Souls" with Richard Ashcroft (of the Verve), my
eyes start tearing. The orchestra instrumentation towards the end is enough to
make anyone feel he's in a Nike commercial. Just buy it.

2. Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With An Arab Strap
Does this need an explanation? After all we all have it.

3. Pulp - This is Hardcore
A true follow up to Different Class (a great album in its own right). This is
a great album to listen to and read the lyrics along with it. I love the
lyrics to "TV Movie" everytime i hear it. Reminds me of my life...at least the
bad acting part. And the sheer subtle force of "This is Hardcore" will move
anyone who is "anti Britpop". This album truly is hardcore.

4. Beck - Mutations
After all the hype of this not being the true follow up to Odelay, I was quite
skeptical about this album but after hearing it once, I became one with Beck
Hansen's genius (without the drug use). This eclectic album ranging from
country to folk to tropicalia is just amazing. "Nobody's Fault But My Own" is
perhaps one of the best songs written this year. Who thought that Beck was
capable of such serious music?

5. Air - Moon Safari
An album that will please just about anybody. It's by french people and they
do everything right (see the words "frech band" on album cover). This is a
great mood album and can put anyone in an insta-good mood. You too can feel
sexy as you hear the anthem "Sexy Boy", a necassery song to play while getting
dressed for that Saturday night outing. Chicks will so dig this album and
that's whats important. Right?

6. REM - Up
Yes, there is no escaping from the brilliance of REM. I dont care how many
people are in this band they will still be great. If you weren't satisfied by
this album at first listen give it more of a chance. This album pays off in a
big way. "Walk Unafraid" (which Bono of U2 inspired) is one of REM's most
potent songs ever and "Hope" which updates Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" in such a
fun song ("fun". hmmm, now that's a descriptive word). And i am always blown
away by the Beach Boys tribute, "At My Most Beautiful". A great band that will
always be great.

7. Elliott Smith - XO
Perhaps the greatest songwriter alive today (along with Beck). If you werent
moved by "either/or" you are a stoic creature from the deepest lagoon. This
album uses more instrumentation than "either/or" and you hear the Beatles
inflences oozing from this masterpiece. Yes, i will call it a masterpiece
because it is. Listen to this album once and tell me you were not moved. If
you weren't check your pulse. Quickly.

8. Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Not everything has to be so serious. Yes, I love this album. I think it's an
old skool party (with a "k") and it gives me the speed in my morning walk to
work. "The Negotiation Limerick File" is one of the Beastie's best songs.
Except for the occasional singing vocal attempts, this is an album to "boogie"
to (not that i would know what boogying is). I will join forces with the
Marilyn Mansonites and Smashing Pumpikinites and declare my Beasties love.
Besides these guys are Jewish and they're cool. that's not easy. i should
know.

9. Sloan - Navy Blues
Sometimes I'm not in the mood for original. Sometimes i am in the mood for
formula and a Beatles rip-off. that's fine. If it sounds good, why not? Now
that i have that off my chest, I will defend this Canadien band. It's not
their fault they are Canadien. This is a pop anthem after pop anthem. These
boys have pefected the British Invasion era song and it feels good. i will bop
to this music and i will clap along. And i will not apologize.

10. Mojave 3 - Out of Tune
It came out in England in 1998 so it's still considered for that year.
I have only owned this album for a week and i can't stop listening to it. The
instrumentation of Belle and Sebastian, the vocal grace of Nick Drake, and the
occasional harmony of Simon and Garfunkel ( check out the la-la's on "GIve
What You Take"). A fantastic album for the chill-inclined. This is an example
of where an album title is not at all an indication of the music. Buy this and
be pleased.

11. Mercury Rev - Desert's Songs
 An album that just doesnt squeeze into the top twelve, it truly belongs here.
"Opus 40" with its underlying sample of Pachelbel Canon is a orchestra-pop
sweeper. This is a real change for this noisepop band. It's lost its desire to
ramble with guitar feedback and wound up with a result that will impress you.
This is an indie rock classic of our time.

12. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
I would be considered a heretic if i didnt have this here. An album i cant
describe properly. But i'm sure youre familiar with it, if youre remotely
interested in music. A dark, mysterious album and an equivalent of Radiohead's
"OK Computer".

Compilation of the Year:
Tied for Nuggets boxed set and Field Mice "Where'd You Learn to Kiss That
Way?"

Honorable mentions:
Rufus Wainwright- self titled
Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel