Sinister: Tigermilk ... oooh, what else?

simon barr lilac_wine93 at xxx.com
Mon Jan 25 00:48:52 GMT 1999

> [...]
>experience and an insight into the workings of the music industry.
>
>run by alan rankine (from the associates) the project releases a
limited
>single yearly to help promote local talent whilst providing hands-on
>experience to the students of how to go about releasing a record.
>
>the record is limited to 1000 copies, as this helps it to stay within a
>college budget, and helps ensures that the cost of production can be
met
>and recouped.
>
>in the case of belle and sebastian, the college were willing to release
>an album in light of the amount of material that the band had and the
>band's willingness to part fund the cost of recording, but still the
>record was limited to help ensure that the release didn't over-stretch
>itself and had a chance of selling and, in doing so, making back the
>money that was outlaid on it's production.
>
>as a result the record was released and it took nearly 8 months to sell
>the thousand that were produced (actually 200 or so probably went on
>promotion of the album and to the band and people that worked on it, so
>probably only 800 were sold over the 8 months).
>
>now, the band have always said that it would be re-released when the
>time was right. thankfully that time has come, and the record now
stands
>a chance of finally making the band a few pence. and in spite of this
>and the thousands of e-mails, letters and phonecalls that we've
received
>over the past two/three years begging for it's re-release, that someone
>would be so selfish and greedy as to suggest that it's re-release
>threatens their potential to sell an original vinyl copy for a huge
>amount!!! well, it's unbelievable!
>
>isn't it best for it to be out there, able to be listened to, for
people
>to be able to hear it. it's beautiful, why should it only reside in the
>hands of the precious few?  why shouldn't EVERYONE have the right to
own
>a copy and to fall in love with it?  isn't the point of belle and
>sebastian (and also this list!) that it should be a shared feeling of
>love and identity, a link between people, strangers throughout the
>world?  doesn't everyone/anyone have the right to join in that feeling?
>
>what i'm saying, is that tigermilk is much more than just a collectors
>item, it was created by a band that are more than just 'a band'. and to
>devalue that with greed and selfishness is not only directly clashing
>with all of the b&s philosophies, but it's also very offensive to the
>people that love the band and their music.
>
>the music was written to be heard, and now it is time again for it to
be
>heard.  if you're not happy with that, well, i'm sorry, but you're
>talking to the wrong people and may possibly, in being here, be keeping

I somehow got the impression that this post was directed towards me.
I said I'd never sell my copy anyway, whatever it was worth - it means
too much to me. I'll definately be buying the cd when it comes out, my
record has been played to the death. If more people are going to have
the album available to them then that's fantastic and if they get half
as much pleasure out of it as I have, they'll be extremely satisfied.
Personally, it doesn't really bother me. I've had my daily intake for
almost three years now and as long as I get my 'fix' (on vinyl or cd)
then I'll be content.

Simon.