Sinister: just my spiel about songwriters

James thunderw at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 25 10:20:55 GMT 1999

goodness me its been a long time since I mailed anything to you lovely lot.
as i remember it i got disillusioned because no-one ever spoke back to me.
but i'm willing to forgive you. as you all seem to be on the subject of
beautiful songwriters i thought i'd just drop a quick line to put a word in
for Vic Chesnutt whose gorgeous weaving disjointed misanthropic southern
drawls sent my psyche spinning off into fantastic new territories when I
was fourteen and have been messing with my soul ever since. also to pledge
my support for nick drake and will oldham (the bonnie prince reigns
supreme). and to make sure you don't forget kurt wagner. i do like elliott
smith - xo is good, especially waltz no 2 (or is it three, i forget) but i
do think elliott fever is getting just a touch out of control. the lad's
vocals sound better live - on the record's they're a little sugar-coated
for my taste. i haven't heard much rufus wainwright yet but he has a
beautiful voice. carole king has been giving me strength lately. and
kristin hersh. (the girl's don't seem to be be getting much of a mention -
oh god, if anyone starts on about bloody alanis morrissette or tori amos
now i'll be sorry i said that.) are we talking about greatest living
songwriters or do dead ones count too? if they do i have four words to
leave you with - Gershwin, Porter, Kern, Berlin. i don't know whether i'm
stretching the parameters of this list a bit, but some of these writers
have been more than important to me. that's my lot.

love from molly
xxxxx