Sinister: Halfner

Caleb Rudd caleb.rudd at xxx.net
Mon Jan 25 10:36:07 GMT 1999

Hello peeps

Hefner's (or as Darren joked, Halfner - as it was Darren [Hefner's
singer/guitarist] with occassional member Jack [lap steel guitarist]) show
at the Poetry Cafe on Friday was a huge success, with the Cafe once more
filled to the rafters with gleeful punters. It was great seeing Hefner a
bit more stripped back, allowing Darrens lyrics to really be absorbed and
appreciated (which made me tingle all over).  I must add that Darren seems
a top bloke, very engaging and friendly, only too happy to chat about
Hefner or obscure indie records.

On the weekend I went to Manchester and stayed with Mr and Mrs Warrander
and Shelley who came down from Birmingham. Sadly Mr Warrander told me he
has left Sinister, and vows never to return. His wit will be sorely missed.
We met up with Tag on Saturday for lunch and stocked Picadilly and King Bee
Records with ample quantities of Papercuts (rush to the shops and get it
now kids!). On Sunday we saw 54, about the notorious Studio 54 club in
Manhatten, which is a pretty good late seventies/drugs/disco tale, even if
it did mirror Boogie Nights a bit too close for comfort. Apparantly the
studio (Disney's Mirramax) enforced much editing and re-shooting against
the director's wishes. The director originally wanted it to be much darker
with showing the lead character Shane (who is rather bland) in a more
hedonistic, bisexual light. I can't compare it to The Last Days of Disco,
not having seen that film, but most people seem to favour Whit Stillmans
treatment. We saw the movie at the 20 screen UCI in the new Trafford centre
complex. What a marvel of modern architecture the Trafford centre is with
different themed sections (New Orleans, Roman, etc). Of course the shops
are just the same shite shops as anywhere else, although the ever popular
MUJI is much appreciated.

erm, yeah that was my weekend. Now I gotto go and buy some new shoes for a
job interview tommorow.

ciao ciao

Caleb

|   Chester Indie Zine		        http://www.chester.org.au   |
|   UKindiePOPdance			editor at chester.org.au       |
|   New stuff: Jack, Lucksmiths, Underground Lovers interviews!	    |