Sinister: The sun always shines on Evie

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Mon Jan 25 20:28:01 GMT 1999

Hello everyone,

Evie?  Evie Sands?  The Evie Sands?  The queen of sixties girl soul
singers?  I'm beside myself with joy.  I love Evie very much.  Belle
and Sebastian backing her is just a little bonus.  Where did they find
her?  How did they get her to come over?  Sheesh.

I'm not too fond of facts and figures and catalogue numbers, but I'll
do my best.  I do know that Evie worked largely with Chip Taylor
songs, releasing a couple of ace wall of soundesque pop/soul singles
on Blue Cat in the mid sixties - "I can't let go" and "Take me for a
little while" - "I can't let go" was a later hit for the Hollies and
later still the 'dang-dang-da-da-dang' riff was plagiarised by that
loser smackhead Sonic Boom.  There was some stuff on A&M - "But you
know I love you", so sad, so hopeful, her voice like honey being
poured down your back, "I'll hold out my hand" too, sounds like PP
Arnold, but better.  "Anyway that you want me" is a big string awesome
epic.  My favourite Evie moment is "Billy Sunshine", which is "big in
Wigan", as they say, a fantastic dancer, strident drums, big brassy
horns, and Evie just belting it out over the top.  If she does that I
WILL cry.

Love
Tag xx