Sinister: Do Wah Diddy Diddy Dum Diddy Do!

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Jan 26 13:37:30 GMT 1999

My calendar says "S. Pablo" underneath yesterday's date, I wasn't
trying to be cheeky, honest. I apologise if I unwittingly condemned
Paul to spending all eternity in a fiery pit being whipped. It's
because I'm a proddy bastard.

Evie Sands! Evie Sands! I had to sit down and pour myself a stiff one
when I heard that, I'm sick with envy. Evie's "Take Me For a Little
While" nestles somewhere near the top of my personal Hot One Hundred,
which I'll be posting to the list with explanatory commentary a week
next Thursday. Ms Sands is just one of a galaxy of recording stars on
"The Red Bird Story", a smashing 4 CD set from Charly Records Ltd,
full of beautiful sounds. Paul, this is where Ronnie Mitchell's
"Having a Party" comes from, which should give you some idea of what
kind of atmosphere to expect at the church hall next week. Surely
worth hiring an air ambulance for the night? I'm sure they'd let you
park your bath chair next to the stage and lend you an ear trumpet.
Fluffy! This is where "Mary Weiss Speaks" comes from, which should
give you some idea of the kind of advice that will be on offer on the
night. Evie Sands - I'd walk a million miles for one of her smiles.
Here's an uninteresting Evie Sands fact:

"After several mediocre records, (Jackie) Ross came out with the
excellent "Take Me For a Little While", in July 1965. With it's
rolling, catchy beat and plaintive plea, the song was a perfect
vehicle for the singer. It was, however, a cover of a just-released
record by Evie Sands, a young white singer in New York. Because Ross's
version was on the veteran Chess label and sung by an established
black star, it knocked off Evie Sands' song in most cities."

Really quite remarkable. If you're going to the concert, you could
memorise that and blurt it out to Ms Evie at an inappropriate moment,
and she will reply, "Why, fiddledy-diddledy dee, ain't that just the
darndest thing?" because she probably thinks no one knows who she is,
and will be overcome with joy at the waves of love flooding the stage.
Unless she's grumpy. Anyway, I want to go. As soon as it stops
raining, I'm going to set out walking. In case I don't get there in
time, can someone make sure to record it and take nice photos?
Jeepster should do it really, it'd be a massive hit and earn them a
place in the history books.

Speaking of history books, could someone please tell Warrander John
that I promise never to mention Gr*il M*rc*s again if he comes back
home, where he belongs, to the Sinister list. Because we miss him.

I've seen that film "54" and I thought it was shit, except for Austin
Powers.

Apologies to anyone who's waiting for me to reply to anything,
especially Anne, who's been waiting since mid-November.

Thank you for reading,

Peter "Shadow" Miller