Sinister: We're not adult oriented

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Tue Jan 26 16:23:58 GMT 1999

Mew said:

 Is it just
me being crazy or is 23 going on 24 starting to sound old?  I'm so used to
feeling young (in my family, at school...) and it is so weird to realize
that
I'm not really.  Also, I see all these people doing cool things (music,
acting, sports) who are so young and it just makes me feel old and that I've
wasted time!  Damn them!  ;)

Well, I'm 24 going on 25 and never has being 24 seemed so appealing...early
20s is a nice place to be, though I must say it didn't turn out as ideal as
I had hoped - it was, for me, very much like my first days at a new school -
going from being a fourth year, been-there-done-that kind of laid back,
experienced hipster student (yeah, right :) to suddenly facing the adult
world with a metaphorical Dennis the Menace satchel and a quivering bottom
lip, and a graze on my knee from where the big boys pushed me over. Ow.

So I'm kind of feeling optimistic about my impending late 20s now, probably
mainly because I'm that wee bit more pragmatic and know there's nothing I
can do about it. I'm also at the stage where if I find a grey hair I heap
love and tenderness on it, as any hair of any colour is a damn good thing,
as long as it's on my head rather than colonising some new and unwelcome
part of my body.

And as for young people with fame and success and lives obviously a thousand
times better than (most of) ours - well, good for them. I would have loved
to have spent my sixth form years in the hit parade, but although I have no
illusions that it'll ever happen, I'm probably more honestly positive about
doing something worthwhile with myself the older I get (disregarding for a
second that pesky insecurity about wasting my life that I'm conveniently
avoiding for the sake of this argument).

That's enough of that. Instead, I shall say that for me, "The Groop Played
Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" by Stereolab and Super Mario World (I think)
are inextricable, and I find myself remembering long-forgotten tactics and
such whenever I listen to it. It's absolutely fucking fantastic, by the
way...

Il vostro Biondino xxxx