Sinister: The Black Prince

John Johnston johnj at xxx.com
Wed Jan 27 11:26:57 GMT 1999

Son of Edward III and Phillipa of Hainault - I could never remember
where he fitted in.

Well one of you came forward to help me out with my desire to find a new
word or a phrase from another language to describe my joy when overdue
buses or public transport arrive. Thank you very much Oon! She gave me
two Thai phrases my favourite being:

 "Long Og"  - "long" is like relieve. "og" is your chest.
like when you have runny nose and you blow your nose, same feeling.

Nothing else I have found even approaches that metaphor for describing
the feeling. The best I could do was "Spontaneous Omnibustion".

I'm reading a book about the Wars of the Roses at the moment. It says
that in the middle ages it was the custom in England to greet people
with a kiss on the lips and foreign visitors  were amazed at it all. I'd
love to know at which point a firm handshake and awkward mumbled
pleasantry took over - probably about the time of the Plague! it also
talks about Isabella, wife of Henry II - known as the "She wolf of
France" - it immeadiately made me think of our own Genevieve - She-Wolf
of the Gatineau.

In my quest for new exclamations and swearwords I'm thinking of taking
an (illuminated vellum) leaf out of Henry VI's book - the most he would
ever say was "For Shame!" although he was sometimes known to exclaim "St
James!"

xx
John