Sinister: Seeing other people (and their taste in music)

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 27 15:19:06 GMT 1999

Whilst being bored and trying not to study for my Business Information
Technology Systems exam, I was perusing stuff around the B&S areas of
the web and found out that someone had voted for me on the list crush
thing.

I now like the idea of list crushes.  So whoever you are (and I think I
know, but I could be sadly wrong, as I usually am), thank you.  You have
put a smile on the face of an unhappy bunny.  I have many exams, and my
real-life non-list crush has begun ignoring me. And I can't go to Evie
Sands as I forgot that I promised my parents I would visit them straight
after my exams.

Anyway, my point .....

 Robert Morris wrote:
   I have to interject here and say that I'm quite tired of "there are
no
good bands in America" thing. Select magazine has a piece this month
something to the effect of "...Only in America" that lists all the
absolute
worst that the American music industry has to offer. It lists the
Matchbox,
Third Eye, Sugar Ray, Jewel, Cherry Poppin', Blues Traveller, Dave
MAtthews, etc. Each and every one of these bands , is of course, crap.
Where are the mentions of the Beastie Boys, Beck, Pavement, Yo La Tengo,
Wilco,REM, Victoria Williams etc... And if they are going to list all of
these American phenomenons shouldn't All Saints, Robbie Williams, Gomez,
Travis, Embrace, Catatonia et al get mentions as  examples of "only in
England crap."

Right, the thing I liked about John Mahoney's post (presumably not the
John Mahoney who plays Martin Crane in Frasier then) was the quote about
not slagging off other peoples taste in music.  Which he then proceeded
to spoil by doing just that.  Then Robert cut in to give his opinion.
Which I don't agree with.  I think the Beasties are the most over-rated
band on the face of the earth.  I think he should have mentioned
American Music Club and Red House Painters in the list of best things to
come out of America.  Do you see my point?  IT'S ALL A MATTER OF
TASTE!!! YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE OTHERS' TASTE IN MUSIC JUST BECAUSE IT
ISN'T THE SAME AS YOURS!!! Oh, and England can't be blamed for Catatonia
and Travis as they are Welsh and Scottish.  And I'd rather listen to
Robbie Williams than the Beasties anyday.  But that's just me.

And anyway Robert, I don't think John was saying that all American
artists are crap, as shortly after this point he was listing fave
records as being by Money Mark and REM.

So can we stop being all "oh, I'm so superior because I like Sebadoh and
think Steps are the Anti-Christs, and therefore I really understand good
music and can slag others off" or whatever, and get back to being fluffy
again please. I've noticed a few others doing it too, and it angers me,
as I like a wide range of music from My Bloody Valentine to Take That
and don't want to be derided by someone having a cheap shot at
shoegazers or pop kids.  We all like Belle & Sebastian, so there is a
common ground, but where we go from there is up to ourselves.  Don't
ever turn into Manics fans - you all know what I mean, thinking that
other people aren;t qualified to like Belle & Sebastian as they like
music you don't therefore can't understand B&S with the same passion you
do.

This, of course, will probably never happen.  But I can see the signs.
And I don't want it to happen.  That's all. You can come back now.

Ailsa xx