Sinister: pleased to meet ya

Dan McKinney polystyreneman64 at xxx.com
Thu Jan 28 22:34:58 GMT 1999

Hello all.  As a lot of people seem to be posting for the first time
today, I, too, feel the necessity to say SOMETHING.  And now that I have
reason to, all the better...

First I should probably introduce myself.  My name is Dan and I'm a
college student in upstate New York.  I work as a DJ for my college
radio station and am an avid fan of most Britpop, particularly B&S,
Radiohead, Gorky's, Roses, Smiths, James, et al...

why am I posting again?...oh yeah...

>>i'm a film major from temple university. ya know what that means,
don't
>>ya? yes, it means i was one of the poor belle and sebastian fans left
>>teary eyed after the group had to canced its philadelphia show. i
still
>>don't think i've made a full recovery.
>
>ah, u too eh? well there was quite a few people there. i am a student
at
>messiah near harrisburg and went out to philly for the show. how
>surprising that was... i am still hoping and waiting for the next
chance,
>as are all the others here that were with me

I, too, was among the disgruntled with regard to the Philly show.
although I go to school in new york, I live in mechanicsburg and got the
chance to come home to go to the show.  so, I feel both of your
respective pains...

some people were mentioning bands/singers with similar singing styles to
Belle & Sebastian...I have a couple to share.  Grandaddy shares some
commonalities with B&S in terms of suppressed vocals....Lambchop also.
another band i'd recommend for the vocals is the Innocence
Mission...female vocals, very gentle, introspective....good stuff.  yo
la tengo's 1997 album (the one with the long title) also has some quite
muted vox.

well...props to all who read this!

~Dan