Sinister: Fraggle Rock and someone who was asking after MLS stuff

Stanley,L L.Stanley at xxx.uk
Fri Jan 29 11:30:25 GMT 1999

Hmm... yes, I remember the dog in Fraggle Rock too, there was some song or
other where I always think they're singing about Fraggles (much better than
other Jim Henson stuff, I used to be very jealous of Red because she was so
cool - bear in mind that I was about 7 when it was on and I was the gawkiest
kid in school for much of the 80s) but I can't remember it.

I think I read somewhere that someone was asking after My Life Story stuff.
Today I am wearing a black blazer I bought about 2 1/2 years ago which has a
whole heap of badges in the pocket, including most (if not all) those that
"Sex and Violins" - the MLS fan club/newsletter - sent me with news of every
new single. I'm sure there's Strumpet, but the last ones I got were in 1997
with the release of "Duchess" (which doesn't seem so long ago), and I lost
touch with S&V so I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if MLS have
done anything since then. I know they released Mornington Crescent about a
year ago but I have a tape of said album (it was last year's "Tigermilk")
and the extra tracks I mostly had taped off mates....I hope Jake hasn't hung
up his spangly boots.

I had a very Belle and Sebastian experience last night:

"We went out to a discussion last night and I heard of a lot of old friends
that I'd not been in touch with. This guy Alan was dishing the dirt on some
of them, revealing who was gay and who was bisexual; and the one who was bi
was someone I fancied very much. But it didn't faze me, because it made him
more attractive in my eyes. We went into a bar for a drink and had a long,
meaningful discussion on the relative merits of Judaism and Christianity and
my ongoing battle to open the minds of some evangelicals at college while
still respecting their rights to think like that, as I want them to respect
my views. The guy I was talking to knew someone in a powerful position, so I
asked him to get me in touch; someone asked for a job with him as well, but
Daniel told them that he only employed his own friends. Daniel took the rip
out of him, camping him up, but I had to call time at ten o'clock. I went
home listening to David Bowie and thinking of my lust object; falling back
into Sartre's "Nausea" when my batteries ran out. I went home and made a
compilation tape, encapsulating the highs and lows of the past four months,
and went to bed, safe in the knowledge that my love was just that.

I woke at 4.30 am after a nightmare about Martin Clunes and the House of
Lords and couldn't sleep. I realised that I hadn't had anything to eat, and
it was too early to go and get some chocolate. So I finished my tape and
left my room in the same squalor it was in last night, and headed out in the
cold and grime of London, on the way stopping for a huge fry-up and a read
of an American comic book - sick to the stomach because of my prolonged
fast. This meant I was early for my Government class, but I took a hike
through a park and across Lincoln's Inn Fields before lurching into class.
And that's how I got here."

OK, so it's not as good as something B&S write - how about the "Ballad of
Tindersticks"?!?!?!?! (Off their excellent LP "Curtains": my father quipped
that it made "Leonard Cohen sound cheerful".....)

Louise Stanley l.stanley at lse.ac.uk