Sinister: Solipsistic wordplay, parts 43-47 incl.

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Thu Jul 1 12:08:15 BST 1999

Brace yourselves.

On the subject of lyrical mis-hearings, I'm forever getting in a bit
of a muddle with popular tunes from some of the 'finest' 'classic'
'rock' bands this isle has produced in the 90s...

--
Once upon a time, not too long ago, we took a day out in
Manchester/We all fall down, there's not enough hours in our

I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah/I let
the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now/Overblown
dross for the hard of thinking/If you caved my skull in with a
half-brick no jury in the land would convict you

She walks in beauty like the night/Discarding her clothes in the
plastic flowers/My voice is like silver foil in a mouth full of
fillings/Throttle me with my own diaphanous blouse
--

Oh dear, it's not exactly Hal David, is it ?  Still, it's what the
kids like, so I can't really complain

Anyone here associate strong coffee with botty bother ?  There is
that scene in "Henry Fool" of course, which I find reassuring.
Thought I might be the only one with a digestive tract that Goes
Liquid after a few shots of espresso.  I did enter "cappuccino" and
"the shits" into AltaVista, but it crashed my browser.

I always used to favour the leaf over the bean until relatively
recently - the switch was an integral part of my ongoing
sofistycashun, along with my move to Giddy London and, at the behest
of Jasper Buckaroo, the zebra-pattern tattoo on my eyelids.

Ooooon !  Can we tempt you to England in September for Ali To Model
Panties ?  Is it insufficiently P!O!P! (I bet that bloody filter is
still on... this post is already too scatological) ?  I shall do my
best to charm you into spending all your money on plane tickets by
revealing a new fact I have learnt about your homeland every time I
post...

David Toop's new book "Exotica" mentions an easy listening album of
Latin-Hawaiian music composed by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej
of Thailand.  Apparently the monarch used to have private audiences
with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie and had a recording studio in his
palace.  This album was voiced by heartthrob Thanin Intarathep - 'a
kind of Thai Cliff Richard'.  One track, a bossanova entitled "Face
Up To Problems With A Smile", 'suggests that the King was one of
those composers incapable of writing cheerful music'.  "Far From
Worry", replete with 'double-time piano and soaring strings', paints
a picture of the King's palatial retreat in paradise.  And "Sounds In
The Air", if only it was extended by a few hours, would 'lift [the
King] out of his melanchol[y] ... and into the vanguard of
international minimalism'.

I really want this record.

Next time -  Glenn Danzig writes the Thai Olympic Table Tennis Team
song *plus* some compelling rainfall statistics.

Mike x.