Sinister: Fight The Power! Glastonbury and stuff

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Thu Jul 1 13:46:01 BST 1999

FIGHT THE POWER

For those of  you without MTV UK and Ireland a brief precis of *that* Alt
Nation Special:

Lots of super 8 style wobbling, black and white bits, all yr fave songs
(Century of Fakers, Boy with the Arab Strap (from Bowlie), Modern Rock Song,
Dirty Dream, Weathershow, Dog on Wheels, Wicked Not to Care, Lazy Line
Painter Jane, Ballad of Ray Suzuki (but not nesessarily in that order, and I
think I've missed something)).

A rather bizzare TWATTYBUS from Bowlie which seemed to have been "panned and
scanned" you know like when they put cinemascope films on telly and
everybody looks a bit stttrrr--etc--hhhhed, with crowd shots, but I only
recognised Dave Moore, Chelmsford, UK briefly glimpsed in the corner of the
screen.

Also Weathershow and Ray Suzuki (and a Dr Pepper ad in the break!!).

Personal highlight:  Struan's face in LLPJ when his t-shirt gets sprayed
(tee hee).

Personal lowlight: NO BLOODY "UP THEIR OWN ARSES" instead two ~very
appropriate~ videos to finish the hour off "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy
and "Kelly Watched the Stars" by Air.  Now I'm not dissing Chuck and Flav,
none of my heroes have appeared on no stamps either, but I'm sure they could
have dug out something that fitted the mood a little better.

GLASTONBURY

Glastonbury was great fun as the sun shone and I didn't see The Corrs.  I
must second Ms Ross' enthusiasm for Whistler who really are very good in an
acoustic, swappy instruments (Jew's Harp ahoy!), lovely female vocals kinda
way.  Other top moments included Younger Younger 28s (Human League for the
next Millenium), Billy Bragg (with Ian McLaghan (sp?) on keyboards),
Cornelius (just pure fucking genius, beg, borrow or steal to see them live),
Mogwai (including people near me asking other rowdy people to shut up during
the quiet bits) and the Manics doing Motown Junk and Motorcycle Emptiness
(say no more).  Also the Hash Cake Fairies in the Stone Circle on Thursday
Morning who were really cute, dressed in pink with little wings (and doing a
roaring trade).

Not so top moments included Gomez noodling on for hours, Mercury Rev
noodling on for hours, Travis making it rain, having to walk about two miles
to the New Band tent where there was NO BAR!! One Lady Owner making possibly
the most boring noise ever and not talking to the two people at Cornelius
with Belle & Sebastian badges on.

STUFF

Re B&S/Smiths thing, lets hope our current heroes dont split up in two
albums time and go on to release infinitely inferior material.

Re Helter Skelter, although not necessarily the first "hard rock" song (I
don't really want to get into that) is almost certainly the first "pop" song
with pure *noise* in it, and all the better for it (and probably the best
thing macca has ever done).

Re Sleater-Kinney, When I saw them at Bowlie, it took me a while to realise
they didn't have a bass player (despite a rather bassy sound), I asked the
sound man if it was a DAT, but he said he just turned the bottom end up.  Do
they sound really tinny through shit PAs?? (I'm assuming that if people are
from their locale they will have seen them doing shit pub gigs)

I think that's enough waffling for now, I'm off to see Hefner tonight.
xoxo
CarsmileSteve