Sinister: Dover; a marine ostritch...

Adam Chapman dunca_chap at xxx.com
Fri Jul 2 16:39:14 BST 1999

...or at least, so said charles dickens in the days before pre cast concrete
[ in "A Tale of 2 cities" to be exact], but i'm sure thats enough literary
allusions for one day.

    Anyhoo, greetings P!O!P!picnicers!

[with apologies to Alan *fluff* Freeman and all non uk listees who may not
have a clue what i'm alluding to]. however, is it too late for me to add my
tuppenneys worth on the subject of *the Smiffs*? yes, oh well, here goes
anyway, i'm goijng to ignore you.

   I too agree that all inter band comparisons are inherently flawed, though
not necessarily inherently wrong as sometimes its the only way to find any
kind of handle for the purposes of interpretation, which is, as has been
said before all rather subjective, and often unhelpful. But  regarding
specifically the aforementioned b+s/Smiffs contrast. i don't really think
that this is altogether fair, as although both *the Smiths* and b+s touch on
the same circumference from time to time they travell[ed], on rather
different tangents to this circumference and will thus end up at differing
points [this metaphor is quietly dying so i shall bury it here  before it
creates trouble].

    In any case they are two different bands with different approaches and
to be quite fair non congruent fan bases, though there is obviously some
overlap, as in the bands themselves. Unfortunately, the Smiths, as with some
of their contempories attract the kind of dogma and intransigense more
generally associated with the likes of o*!"£$s and possibly the Stone Roses,
i.e. "This music is great [insert expleitive of choice for emphasis], and
anything which isn't produced by band/group/individual X is therefore
[insert expleitive/insult of chioce here]". This also goes for anything new
or different which is perhaps why Pete Waterman had so much trouble with the
Brits. The opposite view [that is kissing the ass of NMEs latest darling], i
find equally objectionable, though nothing i say will change the view of
either side. VIVA CHOICE.

   This arguement has rather lost its way, though i feel that Sir Cliff
[Richard, not Jones], might well agree. To all those picnicing tomorrow,
i'll see you there, and pray for sunshine. now i've got the rant out the
way, i feel much better so 'til the morrow

GOODBYYYYEEEEEEE!!!!!

Adam
XXXX

p.s. Tigermilk posters have even hit sunny Yeovil, and to whoever asked,
you're not alone, i haven't heard it either....

"Because I know that you know, that we know they don't know whats been going
on.... "

Gruff Rhys, SFA, 'Demons'