Sinister: Re: Gentle Waves review

Justin Williams justin at xxx.com
Fri Jul 2 18:48:34 BST 1999

At 11:26 AM 7/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
>hmm......
>>Rolling Stone reviewed the Gentle waves album and praised isobel's
>songwriting ability, saying that it wasn't as mean as Stuart's.
>
>come again?   i'd agree that's the wrong tack to take, i dont' think stuart
>is mean at all, his songs all have an exceedingly gentle heart, yet courage
>enough to tell like it is.    they only said she wasn't as mean, cos she is
>relatively more pink and fluffy.   but i must admit, at the risk of annoying
>any more of the anti-bel contingent, she has a gift for churning out the
>most un-ironic pop fluff i've heard for a while, and in my book that is a
>good thing.

I read that review too, and my interpretation was that they were referring
not to the songwriting (which couldn't be further from meanness)
necessarily but to their overall countenance. I must say, I have only heard
rumors about Mr. Murdoch's personality, and what I have read of the
#sinister script when he was on there, and I could be totally wrong but it
seems that he does have a bit of a patience problem or lack thereof. I'm
sure it's isn't intended seriously but when he says things like "fuck off"
and "no, you're not obnoxious, just immature" to listees who are trying to
have a conversation with him I thought that was a bit uncalled for. And I
also don't know if that past rumor of him smashing the guitar and upsetting
Isobel at a show is true or not, but it would seem to denote that he can
lose his temper now and then. Anyways, 80% chance I am wrong, but that is
what I thought that review was referring to. Of course, as long as he likes
little furry animals, it's alright with me =)

Justin W
Felonius Monk