Sinister: warning: pep talk/rant alert

bUgleT bug at xxx.uk
Fri Jul 2 19:07:36 BST 1999

Erica wrote:

>You've been talking a bit about sleater kinney and hairy armpits of late,
>which reminded me of something which has been on my mind in the last, say,
>six months or so. I've wanted to start a band, but havent found any female
>bands, apart from the now gone Kenikie, to influence me. Sleater Kinney are
>too abrasive for weak middle class souls like me (although I still like
>listening to them, I couldn't attempt to sound like them) Velocette a bit
>too wishy washy (apart from 'get yourself together' which is popmagic).
>People curse me for saying "I want to be in a band so I can be famous" but
>lots of special people wanted fame more than a journey of musical
>discovery. I know Belle and Sebastian wanted nothing less than their body
>on the cover of the NME, but I want lots of money and matching poodles, and
>I'm not ashamed of that. It would be fabulously trashy, and theres a bit of
>you that wants it too.

yes yes, i completely understand what y're saying as i too have that same
desire. on the subject of girl bands..most of them seem to have split up.
there was angelica, who released the fabulous 'teenage girl crush' in '97,
and there was beaker, the oxford girl punk heroines..the rondelles are
good, and they're still together..hey released their debut lp , 'fiction
romance fast machines', on lee ranaldo's smells like records
[www.smellslike.com]. and there's also moonkat from oxford [see link
below]..who are very groovesome.

but i agree, there are not that many great girl bands to get excited about
- so many more male bands than female ones. i think it's kos a lot of girls
just don't have the guts to get up onstage w/ a guitar or whatever and do
it. or there's just this general apathy that there's no point kos there are
enough bands around already..i don't know what it is, but erica...just
start a band - it's not too hard, and you don't need to be totally
influenced by others..do what you think sounds kool! yey..go for it.

*bug*

***the tiny zine on the net***
http://ds.dial.pipex.com/sage/tartrazine

***and the best band in oxford***