Sinister: Shaking Quakerism

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Sat Jul 3 03:26:22 BST 1999

> wouldn't tha tbe the Shakers?  they existed somewhere in pennsylvania, or
>  illinois or something. they made lots of quilts and chairs and stuff.  they
>  recruited people, but then peopel kept leaving until there was like only
one
>  really old lady left in the sect.  or something.     can anyone validate
>  thi

The Shakers in the US were led by Ann Lee, who was born in Manchester in the
1700's.  The sect was originally called the Shaking Quakers, or "The United
Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing," and they were persecuted
in England.  Ann moved to the US in the 1770's and started a Shaker colony
outside Albany, NY, claiming to be Christ reincarnated.  She was beaten and
imprisoned here too.  The Shakers were communistic and celibate, and did
quite well for awhile -- in the early 1800's they had about 20 colonies here.
 By the 1960's there were only two communities left, one in New Hampshire and
one in Maine, and then yes, there was that one last (or maybe two?) woman
left living in one of them... very sweet and sad.

The Shakers believed in simplicity and utilitarianism... the houses and
furnishings they made are beautiful -- really nice simple lines and beautiful
wood.  Wonderful split wood round boxes.  Actually, at least one of the
communes has now been turned into an artists' retreat where artists of
various sorts go to get away and create  -- and there is a new interest in
Shaker lifestyle -- probably without the celibacy.

Ok, yeah, I've always liked Shakers.... sorry.  "tis a gift to be simple...."
 Celibacy is a different matter altogether, albeit pretty simple.

Oh and... about the Rolling Stone review of the Gentle Waves -- I think the
reviewer  was remembering another review.  Someone way back in a review of
TBWTAS someplace said that the lyrics to "It Could Have Been a Brilliant
Career" were mean, or they showed Stuart was mean... someone with a better
memory or better with archives (sorry Honey) might remember where that review
was from.

--michele