Sinister: More drivel on Books and Covers

Pete Ramsdale peter.ramsdale at xxx.com
Mon Jul 5 09:49:30 BST 1999

suck.com opined:

Motherhood, infant, grown man, CD collection, maternal instincts,
coddling, screwing, incessant whining, $75 an hour, professional music
critic, sex, blah, blah, cluck, cluck, wibble, wibble, shite.

Or something like that.

Anyway, this was the kind of stuff that relatively hairless, "Hermann
Goering" me was going on about in his last mail. OK, so before some
bright spark has a go, I know this was a slightly piss-takey,
vitriolic rant about music that the "author" doesn't like, but the
sheer number of people who I have had the incredible misfortune to
meet that really harbour this view is simply unbelievable. Two points:

1) So my CD collection contains quite a bit of B&S and other material
glibly labelled as "twee". This doesn't automatically make me the
stereotypical bobbed-hairdo-sporting, satchel-wearing, Sarah-listening
fey popster. And no, I'm not saying that being the aforementioned
stereotype (which still does exist, let me assure you) is a bad thing.
On the contrary, my dear Watson. And as far as I can remember, I've
never wet my bed (although I have, according to my parents,
sleepwalked and pissed in the waste-paper basket once.)

2) As well as various twee-pop, my CD collection covers everything
from Robbie Williams, through your bog-standard indie fayre, to Fugazi
and even Faith No More. For me, picking one of these genres and trying
to pigeon-hole me for it is similar to juging a book by about
half-a-square-inch of cover. As far as I know, there are no two kinds
of music that are mutually exclusive - just because you may like
something at one end of the scale, doesn't mean liking the other end
is prohibited.

Okay, so I have my own form of myopia, but that is directed towards
the music itself (Steps, anyone??), not the people who listen to it.
I'm not particularly saying that this is OK, and I'm fully prepared to
take a slagging for it, but we all have our folly, I guess. It's just
that I (and a lot of other people I know) have encountered more than
my fair share of people trying to mistakenly extrapolate my
personality from what I listen to.

Advice for the day: Be you, and never be embarrassed about it.

lol p xx.
--

 "Reality never seems to work out quite the way you want it to..."

 Pete Ramsdale - peter.ramsdale at wdr.com
 Phone: 0171 568 3836

related financial instruments.