Sinister: dangerous picnics, random gig, & bowlie 2.

Jim Taylor J.M.Taylor at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 5 19:27:35 BST 1999

hello sinister types (and advanced apologies for some/all of this
being of limited interest to....well lots of bods.....anyway away with
such deprecating and on with my 2nd post this year.....)

 big stylee shouts out to all london picniccers i met / didn't really
meet / accidentally kicked whilst playing footie.....and no it wasn't
me (or anyone?) that got miss vicky, but i can most certainly vouch
for worthiness of F'd up ankle to merit a day off work, and
cunningness of said ankle in its attempt to camouflage itself by
turning the same blue colour as v's toenail varnish.

err yeah. anyway.
as mentioned to various piccerniccers, a band i like / now know &
do mailing list for - Slot Jockey - play at Water Rats, Greys Inn
Road, Kings X (London) on Wednesday (7/7/99). I introduced
Gareth of SJ to a few Sinister people at Bowlie who also seemed
vaguely interested (not B&S related musically they're i guess not
light years from pavement-y kind of stuff....strong songs i think etc
etc & some of band *are* B&S fans...) Gareth is also a lovely bod
and a studio engineer/producer who apparently is very good to work
with - he redid the Beta Band Total Eclipse of the heart track with
them in the studio, but then they got permission so guess that was a
bit of a waste of time. but i don't suppose he needs me harping on
about him. and er yeah neither do you. sorry.

[so hopefully not really a random plug]

they're the middle band (9.30pm) with Miss Mend headlining,
Gertrude on before.

Slot Jockey also headlined a trip to / event in Prague i organised in
March, along with DJ Downfall and assorted others (the latter is
currently touring as his alter ego drumming for Marine Research in
the US until 21st July as no doubt you've probably been informed)

errr which kind of brings me to apologize for the truth of my mantra
at pic-nics that i never get time to read the list much (and so rarely
know what is going on properly in sinister land....) i'm doing better
but limited net access after/at work does make things tricky....

The Prague thing was amazing fun and may or may not happen
again depending on my stamina/stupidity at taking on things like
that, and amount of help i get doing it. I stupidly didn't mention it on
the list for fear of abusing the medium, (or more reasonably inviting
any of you lot along for what was in the event, fantastic fun)  , but if
it did happen again i'd love to rope in the sinister community into
getting involved.......more on that to follow hopefully.

Looks like the almost tournament winning sinister 5-a-side team may
be reuniting in a pretty full way for All Tomorrow's Parties.......thanks
to Martin & Vince,  Damon & i are now definitely coming assuming
we can get time off work, so now we just have to weedle our way in
again. i maintain i'm better out of goal than in, but i suppose
somebodys got to do it so i'll buy some gloves that fit anyway. and if
anybody ever hears of the bowlie goalie who lost/lent me his
knackered pair (clue, big smelly hands) i still have them.

erk well i think thats quite enough.

So see y'all soon  / @ ATPs / in the next life.

jim

P.S,

That Tim Hopkins lookalike i saw at Bowlie was spotted in the Pub
after the Al Green gig last week - even has the same encyclopaedic
knowledge of Dub which proved a bonding tool after said being
almost offended a friend of mine (another prague performer (Dub
DJ)) by announcing there were a hundred southern?/soul singers
better than Otis Redding....all turned out well in the end. Perhaps if
this lookylikey is spotted by anyone else he could be courted for
another footie supersub appearance at ATPs???

jim at city.ac.uk