Sinister: sf looper show

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Wed Jul 7 08:10:51 BST 1999

just back from the sf looper show...  they pretty much
played what you'd expect (the album).  the sound was
pretty nice considering that rumors were flying that
it might be bad, since the beulah show last night was
hampered by bad sound (hearsay, but supported by several).

overall a pleasant eve once Looper hit stage.  IQU (k records)
had an interesting set with a little more bite featuring
one fellow on standup bass with a lot of energy...  a couple
of their songs had some minor tempo problems, but overall
i think folks (who seemed there for looper) were pleased
with a lot of their texture and catchy loops.  one fellow
next to me remarked tho, 'there's only so much theramin you can
take in one night', and you know, despite being a theramin
fan, i kinda agreed with him.

First time I've seen Looper live and they did justice to
their overall sound.  Plus I enjoyed the accompanying video
and the overall mood created.  For those of you who don't
know the 'great american music hall' in san francisco, its
slightly antiquated, quaint, ornate interior complemented
Looper's stylings well.   It's one of the best places to
play in town, IMHO.

grades:
looper: A- (very pleasant, courteous, clever, together,
            but just a little soft from mid-touritis)

iqu:  B/B+ (energetic, fairly excited, great on some songs,
            misfires on some other songs, some minor mix issues)

I'm curious about anyone else's opinions, mainly because I'm
more of a B&S fan than Looper, but overall I was fairly pleased.

senor droolcup [ weighing in at 3 stone, 1 neat ]