Sinister: crushes and brighton beer

Marcus Omond marcusomond at xxx.com
Wed Jul 7 10:44:09 BST 1999

hi there, sinisteroonies,

right, the wonderful booze explosion from dublin started a review of the
brighton "picnic" with a list of things that did not happen, so i thought i
might continue it... we did not get almost chucked out of a pub for singing
'if you're feeling sinister' far too loud when every one else was watching
some arty film on the telly, i was not the  drunkest person there, and i did
not lie in the middle of the road for half an hour while siany got me water
from another pub to stop me from throwing up the ten pints i'd had.  by the
time paula and her lovely boyfriend arrived richard, sian and i had not had
about five pints each and were not staggering around on the beach looking
like winos.  and i was not too drunk to be able to make it to the train
station, thus having to crash at siany's place (much to the disgust of her
parents i'm sure, even though she says they liked me).  but a good time was
had by all, even if between five of us we managed to ingest more alcohol in
five or six hours than was consumed over two days by about twenty people at
the london picnic (which was wonderful too).  we should do another brighton
one someday, only not with so much drink this time... i'm not up for another
two day hangover...

crushes are great.  while i was in prague and bowlie was going on, i was
waiting at the tramstop and i noticed a beautiful girl.  so i started
dreaming.  then the next day, with bowlie over, she was at the tram stop
again and was wearing A LOOPER BADGE!!!  so i started talking to one of my
friends in an uncharacteristically loud voice about how disappointed i was
to have missed belle and sebastian and how they were the best band in the
world... you know the drill.  and this beautiful girl came up, asked if b&s
were playing in prague (to which i replied 'i wish i wish i wish', but i
didn't say what i was wishing) and we got on the tram together.  and we
talked about stuart's heavenly voice, and isobel's looks (which we both
agreed were undeniably cute - one of the main reasons i went out with my
swedish ex was because she looked like isobel) and i was in such a state of
shock that one of the prettiest girls in prague liked b&s that i didn't ask
for her number when i got of the tram, only saying 'see you around then,'
and hoping to see her at the tramstop the same time the next day.  but i
didn't, and i went back to the tramstop (sprinting out of school to get
there on time) every day for the next two months, and never talked to her
again, even though i thought i saw her once in the tram that was just
leaving on the only day that i waited for my friends before rushing to the
tramstop.  argh!!!  and so that one stayed a crush.  i think it can be cool
when a crush becomes reality, but not if you find out that the girl/ boy is
into the vengaboys and ocean colour scene, thinks that athletics is a good
way to pass the time or thinks that any of the arty things that move you (a
chagall painting, a bob dylan bootleg, a poem by don paterson) are 'wank'
when you show them to them.  but when they like them too things suddenly
become brighter, like if you were on the beach in cyprus and a beauiful girl
kissed you...

anyhow, i've probably bored you all.  is anyone apart from natasha and me
going to 'track and field' this friday night?  i'll be wearing my stow
t-shirt, and i don't know what she'll be wearing, but it'll probably include
at least one upside down badge.  if we don't see you there, then hope to see
you on monday at trash.  i'm going to go and dream about the signed copy of
dj shadow's 'endtroducing' that's being held until the weekend for me, and
listen to my bowlie tape (which doesn't cut off in the middle of lazy line
painter jane - anyone who wants a copy and has something pretty to swap me
e-mail me privately).  anyway, i've gone on too long (sorry list mummy) and
i'll love you and leave you with a stanza by don paterson which needs
holding to your breast and treasuring.

love

Marcus XXX

'and no trade was ever so fair or so tender
so where was the flaw in the plan
the night we lay down on the flag of surrender
and woke on the flag of japan'

from 'imperial' by don paterson