Sinister: Cool Select (HAS B&S content)

Kin WOO daftpunk at xxx.au
Wed Jul 7 18:09:10 BST 1999

Hello lovely listees- long time no post!
This is a belated hi-de-ho-I've
finished-my-exams-and-am-now-on-a-well-deserved-if-short-holiday break sort of
thing:) hope you all liked my rather cute Summer Solstice card (which if you
haven't checked out by now-you should!) I am of course quite upset at the
prospect of never seeing that supposedly wondrous B&S special since of course I
live here in Australia. Katrina, any chance of that special making its way to
our premier late night video show, "Rage"? I've only ever seen the vid for
"Dirty Dream 2" which was erm interesting to say the least. I thought it was
pretty cool that they picked PE and Air videos to show. I love Air and their
dreamy melancholy soundscapes and I can dig the PE.
Wow, Select magazine has enjoyed a rejuvenation of late. Not only has it become
an unofficial B&S fanzine (the more the merrier I say) but it has fully emerged
from that dreadful period in 96/97 when it was fully laddish and blokey
(flashback: Oasis and Cast were considered gods, they had articles on pies and
pubs and Louise Wener was considered the face of feminism in music: YECK!)
Though I miss the black border binding that accompanied the first few issue of
the new look Select (and which prevented the covers from coming off like they
always do), I am glad to say it's a mag worth reading now, and not the music
equivalent of Loaded. Another testament to its new found brilliance is their
rating of the excellent and wickedly delightful film "Cruel Intentions" a
shining five star rating. AWESOME!!! This film has garnered either really
positive reviews and to be expected, a few elitist grumbles, but really it is
such a guilty indulgence to watch it. The acting from the three female leads
(the amazing Sarah Michelle Gellar, Reese Witherspoon and Selma Blair) is
faultless, even Ryan Philippe is good, the dialogue so catty and clever, and it
adds cool twists to the ancient plot. It is so much more sophisticated that your
average teen flick. I've said it before and I'll say it again, London listees,
the film has just opened where you are: GO SEE!:)
Well that's all folks, till next time.
In my stereo: Kruder and Dorfmeister: K&D Sessions
Disappointed by the new Catatonia and Suede albums (so samey!) but love the new
Beth Orton one.
Am hanging out for new stuff from Dot Allison and the Twisted Nerve compilation.
Seeya
Kin Woo