Sinister: pronunciation

Mark Kolmar mark at xxx.com
Wed Jul 7 22:05:55 BST 1999

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, marie elia wrote:
> oh, archel mentioned Cruel Intentions and the american
> pronunciation of "sebastian" as "sebasjun"...  um,
> yes, over here we say it like that.  i wasn't aware
> that the british way was to pronounce all the
> syllables -- se-bas-ti-an.

I looked up "bastion" in the dictionary, and two pronunciations are
listed: "bas'-chen" and "bas'-tee-en" (no schwa etc. in ASCII, sorry)

I wonder if the order would be reversed in a British dictionary.

In American English, consonants don't take their full value as much as in
British English (exceptions include "r" after a vowel).

--Mark

__ Burning Rome : SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14
   < http://www.burningrome.com/ >  < more high-quality MP3s coming soon >