Sinister: Slide rulers (not a dick joke)...

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Fri Jul 9 07:22:48 BST 1999

I saw Fountains of Wayne tonight in DC and it was truly incredible.  They
have the most energetic and brillant live show I've ever been blessed with
attending and once they got appropriately liquored up they were also some of
the funniest bastards.  In between songs the lead singer broke into an
impromptu version of "How Soon Is Now" and actually did a half decent
Morrissey impersonation, then they covered a Cars song in the breakdown of a
song awhile later.  They played a brand new song about a woman who is part of
a magic act (she repeatedly gets sawed in half) who becomes fed up and
escapes only to realize she can't make a living doing anything else so she
comes back.  It was hilarious, but maybe thats one of those things you have
to be there to appreciate.
Afterwards they invited us into the VIP lounge (much to the chagrin of the
club security) and I asked Adam (the bassist, and also the guy who wrote the
theme song to that wonderful movie "That Thing You Do") whether he was a B&S
fan and he professed to love IYFS but he said he was kind of cool on TBWTAS.
He said he loved Struan's voice and that he thought he was an incredible
songwriter and he started to say something else as well but the club security
kicked us out so the thought remained unfinished.
I'm not sure how popular FOW are in the UK but evidenced by the turnout
tonight (they sold out the entire 900 capacity club) they seem to be getting
quite big over here.  They're a Weezer-ish pop foursome and they kick ass or
something...well I'm exhausted.  Later

Steve