Sinister: Tigermilk Tape Support Group

Anna J eng98ajo at xxx.se
Fri Jul 9 18:08:02 BST 1999

Michael wrote:
> > The question is, however, do I replace the hissy version on my MD with =
> > the new one? It might seem silly, but my instinct is to stick with the =
> > one I've spent the last year listening to.

I've been thinking about this too. I just got my new Tigermilk too (hurrah!) and ironically I'm sitting here listening to my old tape. Ok, so it might have something to do with the fact that I'm sitting in a computer room with a perfect stranger across the room who might not appreciate me playing B&S too much (oh and there's no CD player here), but I'm feeling kind of reluctant to abandon the tape.

Imagine the thousands of tapes (and MD:s and stuff) that will fall out of work the next couple of weeks, replaced by shining CD and vinyl records. What's this going to do to all the poor tapes? It must be sort of like when an only child  gets a little sister or brother who suddenly gets all of the parents' attention and goes to bed crying at night because no one remembered to say good night and everybody is cuddling the wrinkly baby. I think it calls for a Tigermilk Tape Support Group (must have some catchy abbreviation though). Therapy, people! Group discussions for the former champions of tapes to overcome the drama of suddenly being reduced to dust-collecting bits of plastic. Or, we could make them see it as retirement from a duty well-performed and send them off to Florida or some place to spend the rest of their lives sipping purple drinks with umbrellas, playing golf whenever they get an empty moment and talking about the old days when they got to see the world, travelling across continents in small brown parcels. What do you think?

Alternatively someone could collect as many tapes as possible and create a Tigermilk tape statue in the memory of all the tapes that so bravely served their task whilst needed, fighting for the equality of those who didn't have 250 pounds for a proper copy. All sinistereens could make suggestions to what shape the statue should be, and whoever thinks of the best idea gets to be swamped with old tapes and make the damn thing, which later could be unveiled at a grand ceremony with Stuart M (possibly wearing a kilt made out of cassettes) cutting one of those nice red ribbons. I bet the tapes are hoping for the Florida alternative though. Or maybe someone else has a much better suggestion for the fate of the cassettes? Go on. :)

Ok, I'll shut up now and go home and listen to the CD anyway. Not until I've had a good talk with tape though, so that it doesn't feel neglected. I might even bring it down the pub and buy it a drink as way of saying thanks.

Cheerio,
Anna :)

P.S. Stephane - thank you very much for the photos and tape I got in the mail! Sorry I'm not emailing you personally to say merci, but I will as soon as I get a chance, I am in a bit of a hurry right now. :)